• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Buy Elio (don't Worry, I'm All In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Serious question: For all the talk of self-driving vehicles, I've yet to hear anyone address rural or seriously off-road destinations. I get how such vehicles would work in urban areas, but.... Well, let's just say that I've no interest in an autonomous vehicle until somebody tells me how they handle rock crawling and such.

Many programs are based on US Coast and Geodetic Surveys. An example is Google. Using Google Earth, I entered my home address a few years ago. Ended up in a dry wash about 1/2 mile from my house. Tried it again today and couldn't find anything. From this I have to guess that the database hasn't been updated in the last 15 years.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you're right -- but I think if they DON'T get it done within 10 years they'll be kaput. My betting is they DO come out with the Eelio within five years of launching the gas powered version. Maybe as few as 3 years.

If they do, you have to ask yourself...... Where will they put the batterys in that design, and will it have any benefit (financial) for the target demographic?

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they do, you have to ask yourself...... Where will they put the batterys in that design, and will it have any benefit (financial) for the target demographic?

They would have to redesign the vehicle, most likely. If you look at any of the companies that have converted ICE to BEV, or even most PHEVs, you lose interior volume, or trunk capacity.

Not much wriggle room in the current P5.

That said, they'd only need about 20kWh to go ~100 miles...and there's certainly a market for 100 mile BEVs. I'd wager that a 100 mile BEV Elio would be pretty attractive as an urban commuter vehicle.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They would have to redesign the vehicle, most likely. If you look at any of the companies that have converted ICE to BEV, or even most PHEVs, you lose interior volume, or trunk capacity.

Not much wriggle room in the current P5.

That said, they'd only need about 20kWh to go ~100 miles...and there's certainly a market for 100 mile BEVs. I'd wager that a 100 mile BEV Elio would be pretty attractive as an urban commuter vehicle.

So you give up interior space and range and it probably costs more?
Where's the logic?
Unless you live in one of those human ant hills called cities.
And you throw out all the good features.
Sounds like a lose, lose situation.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where's the logic?

Yeah, it's not ideal. If you look at the C-Max PHEV, or Fusion PHEV, the trunk is a joke. If you look at the Ford Focus EV...it's the same. That's why you have to build it on a dedicated platform.

The majority of the US population lives in urban areas, so there are quite a few people that can make it work. A benefit for a BEV Elio would be that they could take advantage of the EV tax credit. A 20kWh battery pack, today, would cost around $4k, and qualify for the full $7500. By 2020 the cost of the pack will have been halved, to $2k.

I do realize there are those that are opposed to the EV tax credit, of course.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Using twin front wheel electric motors with battery packs in the FRUNK or better yet a raised compartment platform down the center of the vehicle. The centered battery console would make for a more stabile three wheeler needed while raiseing the seat height making it easier for old geezers like me to enter and exit the vehicle.

The increased performance would be impressive as well as having financial and environmental benefits too.

More importantly it would keep Elio Motors competitive in an ever changing market place by offering old tech and new tech Elio drive train platforms until the ICE Elio is phased out completely.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Using twin front wheel electric motors with battery packs in the FRUNK or better yet a raised compartment platform down the center of the vehicle. The centered battery console would make for a more stabile three wheeler needed while raiseing the seat height making it easier for old geezers like me to enter and exit the vehicle.

The increased performance would be impressive as well as having financial and environmental benefits too.

More importantly it would keep Elio Motors competitive in an ever changing market place by offering old tech and new tech Elio drive train platforms until the ICE Elio is phased out completely.

Motors in all three wheels...AWD!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where's the logic?
A lose, lose for you in the middle of nowhere. For me and millions of other ant hill dwelling commuters it would be a win, win with lower overall maintenance cost and quiet high performance driving experience.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not ideal. If you look at the C-Max PHEV, or Fusion PHEV, the trunk is a joke. If you look at the Ford Focus EV...it's the same. That's why you have to build it on a dedicated platform.

The majority of the US population lives in urban areas, so there are quite a few people that can make it work. A benefit for a BEV Elio would be that they could take advantage of the EV tax credit. A 20kWh battery pack, today, would cost around $4k, and qualify for the full $7500. By 2020 the cost of the pack will have been halved, to $2k.

I do realize there are those that are opposed to the EV tax credit, of course.
All those tax credits would almost bring the cost of the EVElio down to $6800. My math may be off, but certainly would make it a little more affordable for the EV fans. Oh, I kid the EV haters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom