• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

09/17/2014 - Tech Talk - Elio Motors Takes Major Step Toward Producing New Vehicle At Massive Shreve

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That has been posed here before but it is great for the newer members as many have likely not seen them yet.

This PDF also has many of the same photos, and a few extra, and way more details than most of us need or want to know. I believe many people do not realize just what Elio Motors has in this plant. These vehicles will be built in a state of the art vehicle assembly facility.

http://www.racertrust.org/files/shreveport-marketing-brochure.pdf
That is a huge amount of information. I do have one question that most likely no one here will know the answer to but it still doesn't hurt to ask. I read that the plant has been built on landfill. Having lived through a major earthquake in San Francisco, I am very aware of how landfill can sometimes create problems. Is there any geological or other natural activity in that part of the country that might put the plant at risk of severe damage because it is built on landfil? :-) Z

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That has been posed here before but it is great for the newer members as many have likely not seen them yet.

This PDF also has many of the same photos, and a few extra, and way more details than most of us need or want to know. I believe many people do not realize just what Elio Motors has in this plant. These vehicles will be built in a state of the art vehicle assembly facility.
Thanks for posting GO. I hadn't seen that one before. Good info.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a huge amount of information. I do have one question that most likely no one here will know the answer to but it still doesn't hurt to ask. I read that the plant has been built on landfill. Having lived through a major earthquake in San Francisco, I am very aware of how landfill can sometimes create problems. Is there any geological or other natural activity in that part of the country that might put the plant at risk of severe damage because it is built on landfil? :) Z
The entire area is within the 100 year flood plain, which means very little when you have multiple "100 year floods" within the past couple decades.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
It didn't look that close to any major river on the map but I didn't study it closely since I was unaware of that. :) Z
I googled the flood history of Shreveport
1800, 1825, 1849, 1871, 1884, 1890, 1892, 1902, 1908, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1958, 1966, 1971, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2008, 2009

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only two days left.

a2b36cdf-b164-44a3-808d-71e917749cb3.jpg

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before I retired, I worked as a real estate consultant in Washington state, among other things. I would be willing to bet that the Shreveport plant is on landfill placed so as to lift the area above the 100-year-flood elevation. Considering the investment originally made to build the plant, the fill was probably placed under the supervision of a geological engineer. Properly compacted fill can be as stable as undisturbed ground.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before I retired, I worked as a real estate consultant in Washington state, among other things. I would be willing to bet that the Shreveport plant is on landfill placed so as to lift the area above the 100-year-flood elevation. Considering the investment originally made to build the plant, the fill was probably placed under the supervision of a geological engineer. Properly compacted fill can be as stable as undisturbed ground.
That is good to know. My only known experience with landfill has been the Loma Prieta Earthquake in San Francisoc. I lived on land fill South of Market, but the building was supported by columns on bedrock. The building was only a couple of years old at the time. People living in the Marina district, where the buildings were much older, did not fair well at all. In fact in most cases, 3 story buildings ended up as one story buildings. Very scary. :-) Z

Top Bottom