• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Adams-Farwell firm's automobiles, with the firm's first rolling prototypes using 3-cylinder rotary engines designed by Fay Oliver Farwell in 1898, led to production Adams-Farwell cars with first the 3-cylinder, then very shortly thereafter 5-cylinder rotary engines

This refers to piston rotary engines, not the Wankel rotary used in some Mazdas. It has no pistons or cylinders, instead using 3-lobed rotors spinning in a figure-8 shaped cavity.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, not sure if I was the only one to watch this old Youtube video but it seems to answer most all of the questions being asked about the Elio motor. Direct from the IAV Engineer step by step. Yes it has an EGR, yes it is a timing chain, where the knock sensor is, etc, etc. Might be a good review for answers and additional questions. Crappy quality video but you do get the design and build info straight from the engineer that built it. Hope this helps......

I didn't notice this before, but he said something important for aerodynamics. They are routing the exhaust to allow a full underbody pan. I'm really glad for that. You can tuck things all tight together under a car all you like, but it will never be as smooth as a full under-body. It will definitely give them a better shot at keeping their 84MPG. If they also add flexible baffles at the two suspension areas then I'd suspect they can actually beat their 84MPG requirement. JMHO.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't notice this before, but he said something important for aerodynamics. They are routing the exhaust to allow a full underbody pan. I'm really glad for that. You can tuck things all tight together under a car all you like, but it will never be as smooth as a full under-body. It will definitely give them a better shot at keeping their 84MPG. If they also add flexible baffles at the two suspension areas then I'd suspect they can actually beat their 84MPG requirement. JMHO.

Just to clarify I asked Jerome specifically about the underbody pan and he said the engineers are designing to accommodate it however whether this is an option or standard depends on how close they are to their MPG numbers. Basically if EM feels they are close enough without the need to spend extra money on including it standard then it will be an option for those who wish to maximize their fuel efficiency.

I do not believe I am the only member to ask this question and receive essentially the same answer and I doubt this is really surprising to anyone as we know the vehicle is over budget by a little bit and trying to save money wherever possible.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just to clarify I asked Jerome specifically about the underbody and he said the engineers are designing to accommodate it however whether this is an option or standard depends on how close they are to their MPG numbers. Basically if EM feels they are close enough without the need to spend extra money on including it standard then it will be an option for those who wish to maximize their fuel efficiency.

I can verify that .... there was also a brief conversation about how such a sealed underbelly would affect oil changes and such .... that point was unknown

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does this thing have a timing chain or belt. I can't tell....
upload_2015-1-15_9-31-43.jpeg

http://www.elioowners.com/search/1108633/?q=timing+chain&o=date&c[node]=6

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Excellent video thank you for posting it! Interesting I did not know EGR was coming back to the industry. I need to read up on that.
"Everything old is new again."
The 1999 Honda Insight had EGR for reduction of pumping losses, and I think (not 100% sure) every Honda hybrid since then has used EGR for the same purpose. So I don't think it ever left the industry.
I can verify that .... there was also a brief conversation about how such a sealed underbelly would affect oil changes and such .... that point was unknown
Same story here: The old Insight was certainly not the first, but it has a factory aerodynamic underbelly pan under the engine and transmission. I have to remove a few bolts to drop it and do an oil change. Some folks made their own full-body under-pan (underpants?) and found it improves MPG, but not as much just the factory front pan (and deflectors in front of the wheels) and things like sealing the front grill. Elio could likely get most of the aerodynamic advantage with just a pan under the front.

Top Bottom