• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Two pictures show an oil-to-water oil cooler under the filter. One shows a generic external oil cooler adapter under the filter. I'm betting the oil-to-water cooler is what we'll see in production.

Similarly, Honda used a filter-mounted oil-to-water cooler the first few years on the Insight (also a sub-liter three-cylinder) but eliminated it for the last three years. The Elio generates similar power, I wonder if they also discover they don't need it. It's a significant cost that could be eliminated if we are still $500 over $6800.

Really enjoying the engine-geek talk GPA, 'cuz I don't know nuthin 'bout no engines. Very interesting.

I like seeing the discoloration on the metal, showing that it's been run for at least SOME time, correct?

It's a thing o' beauty!

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really enjoying the engine-geek talk GPA, 'cuz I don't know nuthin 'bout no engines. Very interesting.

I like seeing the discoloration on the metal, showing that it's been run for at least SOME time, correct?

It's a thing o' beauty!

I'm in the same boat as you, just hope these guys know what they are talking about 'cause I'll believe anything they say as I know nuttin' :D:eek:

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, I don't think this has any run time on it at all. The exhaust header has no bluing other than around the welds, plus Elio saying Feb 6 is "First Start".

It does appear that there has been some testing done. I'm betting it has oil and the engine has been spun using external power to test oil pressure, interference, etc.

In two of the shots it appears the cooling inlet/outlets have been plugged and one of them has a steel hose attached. (Blue hose with brass fitting behind exhaust manifold in picture "1" and blue hose/brass fitting peeking out from behind water pump.) The hose appears to be going to the nitrogen cylinder on the hand cart left side of the picture. That is probably for pressure/leak testing on the coolant jacket.

All purely speculation on my part, btw.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for posting. :) So maybe after Feb. 6 the negative nellies will feel a little better. :D

I doubt it .... they will most likely find something else to (like no info has been released on the size of the lug nuts that have been selected :confused: ) to wring their hands and dream up stories about conspiratorial false promises

No, I don't think this has any run time on it at all. The exhaust header has no bluing other than around the welds, plus Elio saying Feb 6 is "First Start"..

the press release mentions "an official first start" .... from past experience, I'd be willing to bet that the word ceremonial could be substituted for the use of the word official .... I can't see any way they would hold such an event for the press and other key folks with out having already fired the engine and run it sufficiently to confirm that it will perform flawlessly

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That has to be the first "public" start.
If they're truly planning to start it for the first time at a press event I would be shocked.
Elio is all about shocking the status-quo, right? :) They may run it ahead of time but at the time these pics were taken it doesn't appear to have any running time on it.

I was noticing the staining on the pan too. It could be from wiping away the excess sealant. They've at least spun it by-hand as the black mark just above the harmonic damper (it says "Damper") has one scratch mark in it that would be for top-dead-center. Have to know that to assemble the engine and valvetrain. Can't really read the degree marks on the damper, but it doesn't appear to be at TDC anymore.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't imagine them not running it before setting up a press conference/showing. Trying it for the first time and it not working in front of everyone would be a disaster. And they know that. It may not be fully tested, but you can bet some actual running testing has been done and they are comfortable enough with it to show it off.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's only a surprise if you believed the rumors about "electric" A/C. I didn't. Vindication! ;) :D

(Unless it's an emissions air pump. In which case I'll just add that to the list of crow on my menu. :) )

Um, I've yet to ever see an air pump with a magnectic clutch on the pulley head assembly.. LOL

Top Bottom