• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This article says Elio is building the first ground up engine since the Nash, more than 60 years ago. I'm no gear-head, but what about the Mazda rotory engine? I think it first went into a car called the Cosmo in the 1960s -- a little more recent than the Nash.

"Elio Motors believes it is the first start-up vehicle manufacturer to develop its own internal combustion engine since Nash Motors in 1951".
Built in Japan by Mazda in '67 Mazda was hardly a startup company, at that point Mazda had been in business for 47 years. :rolleyes:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No way are those production manifolds. They are hand fabbed for testing which is why there are so many ports for instrumentation in them. The production manifolds will be plastic for the intake and most likely the exhaust will be integrated into the head.

agree for the exhaust manifold .... intake manifolds made out of plastic ???

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does this thing have a timing chain or belt. I can't tell....
Hi Benbike, welcome to the forum!

I'm betting you have many questions like this, we all did. Elio has a long and fairly detailed list of answers on their website. Follow the link in my signature and spend some time reading and most of your questions will likely be answered. They say there it will have a timing chain.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Elio Motors believes it is the first start-up vehicle manufacturer to develop its own internal combustion engine since Nash Motors in 1951".
Built in Japan by Mazda in '67 Mazda was hardly a startup company, at that point Mazda had been in business for 47 years. :rolleyes:
I wonder what else these naysayers will come up with to cry about! Lol. They'll shut up for a while and then impatience will kick in again and start posting when is the "exact" date of production! Nothing's really new with these people unfortunately. Ok, I can relax and tune out until the next big announcement. Congratulation again EM! ;)

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
agree for the exhaust manifold .... intake manifolds made out of plastic ???
Most intake manifolds are plastic now. Have been going back to at least 2008.

I'm not sure the head will have an integrated exhaust manifold. That would further reduce costs, but it would also reduce performance and might impede turbocharging. The first-gen Honda Insight has it and people have turbocharged it, but it's sub-optimal.

Top Bottom