• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/15/2014 - Ksla - Elio Motors Announces Delay, Production Expected To Start In 2016

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if they sell all the surplus equipment, that would only bring in maybe ten million. Where do you get the other two hundred thirty million? Even if the government loan were approved, it wouldn't cover the difference. What I find worse than being deceived by Elio Motors, is listening to the humility of the naysayers gloating over a mutual loss. Time for me to take a break from this forum for awhile
Predictions for equipment sale have been in the $40 million dollar range (which I think is too high). But even 30 would get those prototypes on the road.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to be nearly 71 by the time the Elio rolls out on time. It it rolls out any later I don't know if I'll be able to drive, let alone afford a new car, even a cheapie. In the meantime my aging and increasingly thirsty Subaru keeps sucking in dollars. The longer I have to keep it running, the worse for me.

When I signed up for Elio, I thought, gee, I can go a year. Now it will be 2.25 years or more ... and I'm not sure I can get by til then. Or even live til then. So yes, this news is very disappointing on a personal level.

But in another sense, it doesn't change a thing. I think the Elio is very important in a variety of ways, all worth supporting whether or not I ever get my car. It is important socially. If it succeeds, it may even help us see that moderation and efficiency are OK, and that we don't have to be owned by enormous vehicles all the time. It will create jobs, not just for the Elio folks, but for the people who can suddenly afford distant commutes. It will put more money into the economy by reducing the amount spent keeping klunkers going. It reduces our carbon footprint and our dependence on oil.

These are reasons to keep cheering for Elio, not screaming "fraud, fraud." That's just having a public tantrum because you're disappointed, and accomplishes nothing.

Yes, this is a setback. But I sure wouldn't call it intentional fraud.
Perspective. Nice.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dissapointed? Yes. But would rather focus on what Elio Motors has accomplished so far, which is monumental. I wish everybody had to run a business for a year and have to be in charge of paying salaries, rent, phone bills, and dealing with all the negativity of people trying to make their problems be your problems . Paul must stay focused on the process and not on the goal. Paul knows this and I'm sure that he wants this infinitely more than we do. I choose to believe he can get this done and to have more perspective and emotional bandwidth than to beat myself up with a bunch of negative BS that only saps you of energy that can be channeled into doing something constructive. As Calvin LaLoosh said in Bull Durham, "Sometimes you win, Sometimes you lose, Sometimes it rains".
imagesXL04LSUP.jpg
GREAT IDEA..... Let get Positive!!!!

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well of course you do. Yes you got me on that name thing. But I don't think you want to take a mutually comparative tally on that. And not on the attempts at character assassination either.

Character assassination? Get a grip. You come out calling me wierd for what I say and in turn post more crap? Your all in for 3 and can't accept the truth. How about 4? I'll sell you mine.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this Paul Elio quote:

"The other thing that has happened for us is that we've bought all of the assets out of the GM bankruptcy, the day we bought it, quite honestly, I overpaid a little."

Though Elio explained, after prices naturally appreciated, the equipment is now worth a lot more than they paid. After partnering with Comau, who participates in the manufacturing of 1 out of 3 vehicles in the world, the company now has $17 million worth of equipment for sale at their Ebay store, Elio said. What is currently listed represents less than 15% of the surplus assets that the company intends to sell.

Based on my understanding, Elio got one heck of a deal on the equipment. So I don't get his "overpaid a little" comment. And "prices naturally appreciated"? Really? In 18 months?

And I am a bit surprised that eBay is the vehicle of choice for selling the surplus equipment. I am unable to find the Elio Motors eBay store. I assume some other entity is the eBay seller. I'd like to see those listings.

A link was provided on the Facebook page for Elio Motors Owners Assoc, let me know if you need the link.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the prelude. I, like you, attempt to be civil.
Here's the scenario that I don't like. Say Jerome (or the FB moderator) KNOWS that within a few days, Mr. Elio is going to announce a delay of production start until 2016. Someone asks him, "When will these start production?"
If he answers "We are on schedule to begin production in 2015.", that is a lie.
Now, that being said, I agree that "PR is the art of lying but making it OK". I hate to lie and I hate to be lied to. (It's one of the top ten no-no's in Scripture!)
So I couldn't be a PR guy and I guess that anyone that has to lie for a living, well, let's just say it's a shame to have to have people like that.

Yep, I understand ya.
I've not based my optimism in what has been said but more on what has been done, and the quality of that. But, it urks me to not get a visible metric on funding.
The funding has always been a white knuckle issue for me. And EM has been extremely guarded and careful in that subject. Never, ever saying the actual interdependency of project realization with respect to investment. The admission that the Gov Loan could be a schedule factor was like a crack in the wall discovery to squeeze out of them.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if they sell all the surplus equipment, that would only bring in maybe ten million. Where do you get the other two hundred thirty million? Even if the government loan were approved, it wouldn't cover the difference. What I find worse than being deceived by Elio Motors, is listening to the humility of the naysayers gloating over a mutual loss. Time for me to take a break from this forum for awhile
Yes, by the 'tone' it does seem that way. Some of this 'tone' seems so much more about competing types of thinking and who get acceptance for what is said.
Frankly I'd like to give up more space for nay-say and honest counter point. But it's not easy get into a neutral area every time.

Top Bottom