• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/15/2014 - Ksla - Elio Motors Announces Delay, Production Expected To Start In 2016

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I just learned this the other day... the application to the ATVM is not a loan request, it is a loan request for a guarantee by the govt. Some other entity actually loans the money. I didn't know that until a few days ago. Did I get it correct?
The importance of the ATVM loan guarantee is that banks (or other institutions) can make a RISK FREE loan -- they get repaid regardless -- so they can safely offer Elio both a ton of cash and a favorable interest rate.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is exactly why I wrote it has not been clear and wrote that it was the way I understood it after the town hall. I would like to see more video of Paul Elio, or another EM person, discussing that number directly as the news videos do not show this.
Maybe I'm missing something. I understood that the total funding to get into production was 240 million, and 185 would get them TO production -- of which they have actually raised who knows how much (answers are not clear and are contradictory, depending on who say what and when it was said). Like you, I want to see this clarified. I personally don't see how it could take another 240 million to get the plant doors open and the first car rolling out. I can definitely see it costing that much to get the doors open and the plant operating for the first 6 months.

Once open, they're going to be running in the red for quite some time, until production and demand curves equal out. They will also have to spend real money on the marshaling centers, transport system, and genuine marketing.

On the plus side, if they can get through the first 6 months of operation, I think (based on nothing more than my faith in the vehicle and the grins of the young people test driving it in the video posted on another thread by KSCarguy) that they will start really catching on. Particularly if gas is back to $4.00, which it may very well be. Currently, oil prices are artificially depressed (chiefly by the Saudis), and they will definitely bounce back.

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/rtmtv-elio-motors-offers-affordable-and-safe-commute

Last edited:

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom