• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/6/2015 - Jalopnik - Elio's Ceo Explains How He Can Sell An 84 Mpg Car For $6,800

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My guess would be something from Chrysler/Fiat as that is where EM appears to have a lot of connections. :)

Fiat actually has a 'TwinAir 60' engine they make in large numbers for sale in Europe which would work perfectly in place of the IAV engine. They have several variations on the same two-cylinder roughly 0.9L engine block, 1 naturally aspirated and 2 turbo versions, which produce 60, 85, and 105 HP and 65, 90, and 107 ft-lb of torque respectively. These engines are very new and modern, only available for sale since 2010, and designed to be very fuel efficient while producing ultra low emissions and being very inexpensive for use in the most inexpensive cars in the lineup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinair_engine

But it could also be anybody as I am sure anyone in the industry would take a call, and at least be willing to listen to, the former CEO of DaimlerChrysler, James Holden, who is an EM investor and sits on EM board of directors. :cool:

Good guess. Makes alot of sense.

I was thinking more like the Alfa Romeo 4C engine 1.7L 240hp:D

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well that was the realistic production answer but I have been eyeing one of these as a possible future project to build a Polaris Slingshot killer :D

Ford Racing 2.0L I-4 Eco-Boost Engine Kit M-6007-20T
  • 252 Horsepower @ 5,500 RPM
  • 270 lb. ft. of torque @ 3,000 RPM
$5,609.95

http://www.butler-macmaster.com/m-6...wHGCnpJFwJ4L84iEoFFqeSkqhKb604tUzAaAvuI8P8HAQ

How about a Mazda Speed3 engine? 2.3L 263hp. Basically a larger version of the Focus ST engine. (since Mazda and Ford shared engines)

Since Elio is a motorcycle it wont matter emission wise if you swap the engine right?

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nissan has a jewel . An 88 lb , 400 HP, 3 Cyl Turbo engine . I'm sure it would be a budget buster but how nice is that ?

http://www.wired.com/2014/01/nissan-3-cylinder-le-mans/

ZEOD_Engine_Large_06-1500.jpg

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
How about a Mazda Speed3 engine? 2.3L 263hp. Basically a larger version of the Focus ST engine. (since Mazda and Ford shared engines)

Since Elio is a motorcycle it wont matter emission wise if you swap the engine right?

i actually looked at that and the price is about the same but it is a physically larger engine and the Ford engine would likely already be a very tight fit and the power difference is not enough to really make a big difference. :D

A 1.0L Ecoboost with 120 HP would likely fit easily but those are actually more expensive than the 2.0L right now, o_O

Top Bottom