• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/7/2015 - Tech Talk V50 - How Is Elio's Internet Connectivity Different?

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As JEBar was nice enough to report they have said it will be compatible both with Android and with Windows mobile by production time so you everyone will have their choice of platform.

I do not think I will be purchasing this option but I have an Android phone and an Android tablet so I would want Android support also.

Android tablets are cheaper too. Also "Ipad mini is for girls"

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been subscribed to Elio's mailing list for a while now. I get tons of updates on endless new features and options they plan on offering, and without trying to sound "too blunt".... I hope these options aren't a cause for delay to get the vehicle into production, because in my opinion when I hear things like this is a little concerning.

I have cash, ready to buy when the vehicle gets released. I personally don't care about a "feature rich" vehicle. The initial concept of a point A to point B, fun to drive, unique vehicle is plenty for me. I don't fiddle with distractions while I'm driving, this sounds to be one, and honestly a rather expensive option. Just make sure you incorporate a tach, speedometer, oil pressure, and temp gauge to the instrument cluster. Analog preferred. Thanks.
Dirtbag, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. Many of us share your desire for the simple basic Elio without all the high priced options. Obviously, you have not read the very long thread on the Elgin dash. We try to keep the forum informative and entertaining and members are usually friendly and helpful. We look forward to your questions, comments, and opinions. Welcome and enjoy the experience it's us.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I understood it the iPad is the only device you can mount in the vehicle. It will transmit to Android or Window based opperating phones and tablets.
MK

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been subscribed to Elio's mailing list for a while now. I get tons of updates on endless new features and options they plan on offering, and without trying to sound "too blunt".... I hope these options aren't a cause for delay to get the vehicle into production, because in my opinion when I hear things like this is a little concerning.

I have cash, ready to buy when the vehicle gets released. I personally don't care about a "feature rich" vehicle. The initial concept of a point A to point B, fun to drive, unique vehicle is plenty for me. I don't fiddle with distractions while I'm driving, this sounds to be one, and honestly a rather expensive option. Just make sure you incorporate a tach, speedometer, oil pressure, and temp gauge to the instrument cluster. Analog preferred. Thanks.
Welcome dirtbag :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Car and Driver once tested a bunch of "fuel mileage enhancers" from magnets on fuel lines to huge mufflers and cold air intakes. Their results showed either zero improvement or very minimal improvements for every one of those devices except one. There was one device that improved gas mileage and it could be retrofitted to almost any vehicle by anyone... That little device plugged in to the OBD II port by the drivers knee and had a cord to a display where it simply showed instantaneous fuel mileage. It can improve fuel mileage into the double digits. Since I started paying attention to the one in my big truck, I've improved my mileage by 9.2%. I keep a log of every fill up and calculate mileage from there. Actually, "fuel log" on my phone does the calculating. My point being I don't rely on gut feel or the Ford calculations from what most people refer to as the "lie-o-meter". The simple display Car and Driver referred to can be had for around $100 and literally takes a few seconds to plug in.

Since our driving habits can affect mileage so much, I wonder if Elio would consider making instantaneous mileage part of the standard dash. I surely don't want to have to buy an aftermarket thing that plugs into the OBD II port but I will. And no, the Skyz thing, if it is a huge "look, I have a stupid tablet glued to my dash" looking tacky thing, will not suffice. While the potential is cool, the execution looks rediculous (so far).

In short - even my modest 9.2% gain in mileage would take Elio from 81 to 88.45 MPG in everyday driving. Will a little display be an option? Please?

Top Bottom