• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/7/2015 - Tech Talk V50 - How Is Elio's Internet Connectivity Different?

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Car and Driver once tested a bunch of "fuel mileage enhancers" from magnets on fuel lines to huge mufflers and cold air intakes. Their results showed either zero improvement or very minimal improvements for every one of those devices except one. There was one device that improved gas mileage and it could be retrofitted to almost any vehicle by anyone... That little device plugged in to the OBD II port by the drivers knee and had a cord to a display where it simply showed instantaneous fuel mileage. It can improve fuel mileage into the double digits. Since I started paying attention to the one in my big truck, I've improved my mileage by 9.2%. I keep a log of every fill up and calculate mileage from there. Actually, "fuel log" on my phone does the calculating. My point being I don't rely on gut feel or the Ford calculations from what most people refer to as the "lie-o-meter". The simple display Car and Driver referred to can be had for around $100 and literally takes a few seconds to plug in.

Since our driving habits can affect mileage so much, I wonder if Elio would consider making instantaneous mileage part of the standard dash. I surely don't want to have to buy an aftermarket thing that plugs into the OBD II port but I will. And no, the Skyz thing, if it is a huge "look, I have a stupid tablet glued to my dash" looking tacky thing, will not suffice. While the potential is cool, the execution looks rediculous (so far).

In short - even my modest 9.2% gain in mileage would take Elio from 81 to 88.45 MPG in everyday driving. Will a little display be an option? Please?

Very true I use an Ultragauge very affordable and works great.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

samwichse

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this Apple-only advertising crap is giving me a pukey feeling.

Weird they would target marketing accessories at the most overpriced platform on the market when their car is supposed to be the cheapest on the market.

"Works with your iPad OR your iPhone."

How about "Works with iOS or Android" on the freaking ad copy instead.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been subscribed to Elio's mailing list for a while now. I get tons of updates on endless new features and options they plan on offering, and without trying to sound "too blunt".... I hope these options aren't a cause for delay to get the vehicle into production, because in my opinion when I hear things like this is a little concerning.

I have cash, ready to buy when the vehicle gets released. I personally don't care about a "feature rich" vehicle. The initial concept of a point A to point B, fun to drive, unique vehicle is plenty for me. I don't fiddle with distractions while I'm driving, this sounds to be one, and honestly a rather expensive option. Just make sure you incorporate a tach, speedometer, oil pressure, and temp gauge to the instrument cluster. Analog preferred. Thanks.
Welcome dirtbag:rolleyes:
images5S5C6Y9N.jpg

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Car and Driver once tested a bunch of "fuel mileage enhancers" from magnets on fuel lines to huge mufflers and cold air intakes. Their results showed either zero improvement or very minimal improvements for every one of those devices except one. There was one device that improved gas mileage and it could be retrofitted to almost any vehicle by anyone... That little device plugged in to the OBD II port by the drivers knee and had a cord to a display where it simply showed instantaneous fuel mileage. It can improve fuel mileage into the double digits. Since I started paying attention to the one in my big truck, I've improved my mileage by 9.2%. I keep a log of every fill up and calculate mileage from there. Actually, "fuel log" on my phone does the calculating. My point being I don't rely on gut feel or the Ford calculations from what most people refer to as the "lie-o-meter". The simple display Car and Driver referred to can be had for around $100 and literally takes a few seconds to plug in.

Since our driving habits can affect mileage so much, I wonder if Elio would consider making instantaneous mileage part of the standard dash. I surely don't want to have to buy an aftermarket thing that plugs into the OBD II port but I will. And no, the Skyz thing, if it is a huge "look, I have a stupid tablet glued to my dash" looking tacky thing, will not suffice. While the potential is cool, the execution looks rediculous (so far).

In short - even my modest 9.2% gain in mileage would take Elio from 81 to 88.45 MPG in everyday driving. Will a little display be an option? Please?

Unless it is going to be displayed on the Elgin dash's little LCD it cannot be done. The Elio only sends fault codes to its OBD II port. It does not feed steaming information so, these devices will not work. But there is hope a fix is being looked into by one of our forum. This would be an option I would be willing to pay for.

Top Bottom