• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/14/2014 - Desingntrend.com - Elio Motors: More Delays For 84 Mpg Three-wheeler

Keith Dahl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I googled , using their "news" tab, "elio" and the latest article is about more delays which seemed to be related to the helmut issue. hey, I don't care if I have to wear a helmut. I hope they keep lobbying states to not make us wear one while driving an elio but I hope that issue doesn't stall production. I may have misread the gist of the article. here is the link. p.s. I am used to wearing helmuts as motorcycles are my main form of transportation.
http://www.designntrend.com/articles/21699/20141014/elio-motors-delays-84-mpg-three-wheeler.htm

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
While there very well could be delays do to various reasons they won't come from the helmet issue. With a little research the person who wrote this article would have found out that there are currently only five states which require everyone to wear a helmet in enclosed vehicles like the Elio and a dozen more that would require minors to wear a helmet.

Joel Sheltrown, Elio Motors VP of Government Affairs and his legal contacts and lobbyists throughout the country, are working on those states and on the states which require motorcycle endorsements. After learning what works and what doesn't this year they are lining up a lot of states to pass changes in these laws during the 2015 legislative sessions. These provisions will mostly be amendments to existing bills which are expected to receive priority and pass the various assemblies. Attaching these legal changes to other bills appears to be the easiest way of getting this done as this issue is not controversial and when they have introduced dedicated bills they have sometimes run into issues with the amendments attached to these bills which even caused the Elio bill in Arizona to be vetoed by the governor. Of course this will vary state by state.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Thanks for the link!

Some fibs and some misleading implications in the article. Agree with GoofyOne, helmet laws will not stall production. It's not a problem, except that if those 5 state laws don't change, Elio drivers that live in those states will need a helmet in a vehicle that has air bags that will deploy in an accident. THAT is a problem, unfortunately.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio drivers that live in those states will need a helmet in a vehicle that has air bags that will deploy in an accident. THAT is a problem, unfortunately.
Not really. The SCCA and other road-racing organizations looks at the "airbags with a helmet on" issue and determined it's not an issue. I've been in a car, on-track (well, off the track at the time), with a helmet on when the air bags blew and it wasn't a big deal.

Keith Dahl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish the author would have chosen to not write this. This was said months ago. I guess anyone can become a journalist since you don't have to do any type of research.
so true. as ive mentioned in past posts, I s-canned the tv years ago, have no cell, and if it wasn't for the handiness for certain things, i'd toss the computer too and just read books. in other words go into complete denial...albeit, blissful denial. God help us,

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not really. The SCCA and other road-racing organizations looks at the "airbags with a helmet on" issue and determined it's not an issue. I've been in a car, on-track (well, off the track at the time), with a helmet on when the air bags blew and it wasn't a big deal.

G-P-A,
Glad to hear someone bring this up... I'd heard other people (including Paul Elio) state that wearing a helmet inside the Elio would be more dangerous than without... I didn't believe this could be true, and wanted to see some empirical data to support the claim... If you have a link to the SCCA research I'd appreciate it if you'd post it... I don't think you should have to wear one anymore than you would in a regular car but I've also worn helmets in race cars (required by the sanctioning body to race) so I had a hard time believing the claim...
Thanx!
h_r :cool:

Top Bottom