• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/29/2014 - Tech Talk - Engine Series: Part 3

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
had a nice conversation with Paul Elio. I asked if the newly machined engine had that special spray coating applied to the cylinder walls? He replied he should have known that answer but they arn't sure if that will be used or just sleeving the walls or ?????. Time will tell what the decision will be. This engine won't have the 2 step valve system but will be on later prototypes.

is it just me or does anyone see the use of sleeves and not having a 2 step valve system being big news ?

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
is it just me or does anyone see the use of sleeves and not having a 2 step valve system being big news ?

Jim

It is interesting news but I would not say it is really big news as this is the first prototype engine. To me it appears that they are starting simple to verify the basic operation and performance of the engine before adding variables.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not really as this is a prototype engine. Sounds like they are starting simple to verify the basic operation and performance of the engine before adding variables.

10-4 so long as it is a step, the question would then become, why ? .... was there a problem with the flame spray or valve system ? .... frankly, taking such steps makes sense but I can see how it does require more time and testing .... 2 days to SEMA, promised news releases should be interesting

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
10-4 so long as it is a step, the question would then become, why ? .... was there a problem with the flame spray or valve system ? .... frankly, taking such steps makes sense but I can see how it does require more time and testing .... 2 days to SEMA, promised news releases should be interesting

Jim

Good questions. It would be nice to know if this is all going according to plan or if they have had to deviate from their plans due to issues. We just don't have enough information to really know at this point.

I hope we get plenty of news over the next few days and I am sure we will have plenty of good questions to ask them when the road tour kicks off again. I am sure I will have plenty of things to discuss with them when I see them again in Charlotte in about a month. :)

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is looking good. I noticed the siamesed cylinders also, I supposed the cooling tech has improved on this over the years, I have memories of the old chevy 400 small block with only the middle two cylinders siamesed, that didnt work out that well then. I think this issue has been much improved over the years, or at least hope so. Us old timers have long memories.
You got all that right. Let's hope a size able number of the few survivor's show up at the poll's this week. Lol

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
oh me!!! finally, and with no technical knowledge I can say with confidence, I just love all the shiny little pieces.
This really is wonderful news (wonder what the 1% could be?)
And why do people keep saying "back to the drawing board"- ??? Gee it's as dated as "t" square and "french curves"- Back in the day we called it mechanical drawing (lol)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was in Vegas the other day at the Shelby musieum and had a nice conversation with Paul Elio. I asked if the newly machined engine had that special spray coating applied to the cylinder walls? He replied he should have known that answer but they arn't sure if that will be used or just sleeving the walls or ?????. Time will tell what the decision will be. This engine won't have the 2 step valve system but will be on later prototypes.
I am so glad someone from here went to the Vegas event. Thanks for letting us know, Richad. :-) Z

KegerChris

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim

Me, personally, I'd like to see sleeves. As a diesel tech, I'm used to replacing them and running the engine for another million miles. It's proven reliable tech. I say stick with proven and reliable. I can't see a thin sprayed in liner lasting over 100k, but... that's my opinion based on years of engine rebuilding. No actual experience with the spray liner. I'm just skeptical. If I were Paul Elio, I'd do sleeves and experiment with the spray liner later.

Bottom line, yes, it's big news, but it makes perfect sense. Make it work with the simple tried and true stuff before you move on to the more modern stuff like Variable Valve Timing... or whatever they want to call their version.

Top Bottom