• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

100 Preproduction Elio's To Be Built In December!!

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the real question is whether EM will start hiring locals, if they do that, well it's really gonna happen.:p
So close...and yet so far John! So there's the answer to your questions folks, not gonna happen this year for us reservation holders. EM also just confirmed based on that new development that they are still on the hunt for that elusive funding! But building that 100 pre-prod units are definitely progress in my book! That means we will actually see productions being made at Shreveport plant (videos and pics), ELIOs in America's streets, more exposures and hopefully, 2017 which I originally anticipated receiving my Elio will be a reality! So bottom line is, more waiting for us! :( It'll be interesting to know who among those fleet customers will be chosen! I'm hoping some will end up as RENTAL TRIKES from big names as AVIS, ENTERPRISE, DOLLAR, etc. so we as future owners get to test drive it! :D Ok I'll say it again...exciting times...ahead!

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only 100. And these were always going to be built first, but now they are going to be sold to one or two fleet customers. Elio will collect data from these units and get paid for the units. Win win.

I believe the S1 units are the ones that were to be used by the company, but are now to be sold.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Glad the 25 E-series are going to be built, tested, and crashed. That makes me feel much better :)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This says to me, some fleet operator wanted their Elios sooo very badly they were willing to float an invoice for a full order. Likely offering a sweet deal EM couldn't shy away from. The operator may even have paid up front a large deposit for it, maybe 50% down payment (or more). The price delivered probably was higher that what the consumers will be paying. The street value of 100 Elios at the known consumer price is just under $700k. But like I say, 100 'bench built' Elios cost more than high volume production. I would not be surprised if the pre-production price were double or triple that.

$3 million to research 100 of this kind of vehicle in a major corporation is nothing.

This gives the operator a leg-up in front of other fleet buyers with advanced use of the cars plus early visibility to the public. They will know very early on how many more Elio's they want to fleet order. If they decide early enough they get even more leverage over their competitors. There may be a secrete leveraged deal that applies to follow up orders for that reason.

So I wonder who the heck the fleet buyer is?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
So close...and yet so far John! So there's the answer to your questions folks, not gonna happen this year for us reservation holders. EM also just confirmed based on that new development that they are still on the hunt for that elusive funding! But building that 100 pre-prod units are definitely progress in my book! That means we will actually see productions being made at Shreveport plant (videos and pics), ELIOs in America's streets, more exposures and hopefully, 2017 which I originally anticipated receiving my Elio will be a reality! So bottom line is, more waiting for us! :( It'll be interesting to know who among those fleet customers will be chosen! I'm hoping some will end up as RENTAL TRIKES from big names as AVIS, ENTERPRISE, DOLLAR, etc. so we as future owners get to test drive it! :D Ok I'll say it again...exciting times...ahead!

3Wheelin makes a great point about the building of these 100 units that triggered a memory for me: a few folks on here have been saying that EM should just go ahead and build a few and get them on the road. Sounds like that very thing is happening. This is another positive IMO.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Waiting?..............waiting on EM to verify the Elio's performance data and show proof of EM's ability to repay the loan. The DOE is being a responsible public lender and some are complaining about it as taxpayers? The DoE apparently screwed up approving other startup vehicle loans.......took harsh criticism..........and apparently learned from those failures. The DoE's waiting on EM, rather than simply denying the loan, seems very responsible too me.......and mildly optimistic that it could be approved.

EM finally looks to be stating 'real' on track required milestones with the E Builds, the Rousch partnership, and announcement of the 100 pre-production Elio's.
*****5 stars bud!

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At this point I'm not too concerned about the fleet reservations, I want to start planning for a one way airplane ticket from Portland Maine to Shreveport Lousiana, and figure what hotels are close by the factory. :first:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3Wheelin makes a great point about the building of these 100 units that triggered a memory for me: a few folks on here have been saying that EM should just go ahead and build a few and get them on the road. Sounds like that very thing is happening. This is another positive IMO.
We better keep it up then Jeff! It seem like they are listening! :D

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At this point I'm not too concerned about the fleet reservations, I want to start planning for a one way airplane ticket from Portland Maine to Shreveport Lousiana, and figure what hotels are close by the factory. :first:
You too??? Can you imagine what kind of TRAFFIC it'll bring to Shreveport??? 100's of ELIOs being picked up by reservation owners and then going their separate merry ways home! I'm even thinking of driving my really old 1999 car w/ 260K miles (probably worth $200. or less) and donating it to charity in Shreveport then pick up my ELIO! :D

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My crazy theory doesn't include what EM "wants", only what DOE requires for the loan.:boxing:
The tests EM needs to conduct to satisfy DoE will require more than one sacrificial vehicle. Paying back the loan as DoE requires, will take demonstrating the ability to generate revenue from sales, 100 vehicles to start, will nicely do.;)

Top Bottom