• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

11/5/2014 - Tech Talk V41: Engine Part 4

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the article was very clear:
"Quality and customer satisfaction are essential to winning today’s highly discerning customers. There is no margin for error for any new vehicle – whether it’s a new launch from an existing manufacturer or a start-up like Elio Motors. Customers, rightfully so, demand excellence right out of the gate."
I am sure all Elios sold will have the full development version.
But I was very pleased with the long intake runners, smooth equal length exhaust tubes and pistons which appear to be cut for stratified charge (rich kernel - lean mixture) and attention to the squish band. These things indicate a motor designed for high efficiency, strong low end, high torque and a fairly broad, flat torque curve - ideal!
remember kids, torque=horsepower @ 5252 rpm

Last edited:

KegerChris

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I missing something? I see no provision for spark plugs. Maybe it is a Diesel. (Just kidding) As one who admires anything engine related I have to admit it is a beauty. Can't wait to see it up and running on the test stand.

The only side of the head we can't see is the exhaust side. I'm guessing that's where the spark plugs go.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Am I missing something? I see no provision for spark plugs. Maybe it is a Diesel. (Just kidding) As one who admires anything engine related I have to admit it is a beauty. Can't wait to see it up and running on the test stand.
You can see the holes for them above the intake ports. The Suzuki G10 had them above the Exhaust ports, so it's not much of a change. Elio chose the angled approach for a very good reason. Vertical plugs need to have a hole that passes through the valve cover, this hole needs a gasket, this gasket eventually winds up leaking, which causes misfires. On an inline engine there's no need for vertical plugs because the plugs should be accessible easily, so you can eliminate 3 rubber parts at about $.05 each and a source of failure..
03a703a6-449d-41c8-b59d-75c0e2eb1e05.jpg

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
You can see the holes for them above the intake ports. The Suzuki G10 had them above the Exhaust ports, so it's not much of a change. Elio chose the angled approach for a very good reason. Vertical plugs need to have a hole that passes through the valve cover, this hole needs a gasket, this gasket eventually winds up leaking, which causes misfires. On an inline engine there's no need for vertical plugs because the plugs should be accessible easily, so you can eliminate 3 rubber parts at about $.05 each and a source of failure..
03a703a6-449d-41c8-b59d-75c0e2eb1e05.jpg

Apologies for this Stuart and everyone, but where are the intake ports? I'll tell you what I >>think<< I know I see... a crank shaft in the piece at the bottom of the pic, and 3 cylinders at the top of the pic. That's all I know. I am very interested in learning a lot about the IAV-designed Elio engine.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
just a guess .... you can see 3 larger holes at the bottom of the picture ..... above each is a smaller hole that looks like it is drilled in at an angle .... those three might be for spark plugs

Jim

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They could also be for the fuel injectors now that I look at them more closely, and the spark plugs do go through on the exhaust port side of the engine like the G10's did.

Edit: Looking at the renderings from Part 2 it looks like the plugs are on the exhaust side, and look a lot like the G10's do.
swiderskiturbo.jpg

ec58377b-630b-4964-a456-76a8450b3c9d.jpg

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They could also be for the fuel injectors now that I look at them more closely, and the spark plugs do go through on the exhaust port side of the engine like the G10's did.

Edit: Looking at the renderings from Part 2 it looks like the plugs are on the exhaust side, and look a lot like the G10's do.
swiderskiturbo.jpg

ec58377b-630b-4964-a456-76a8450b3c9d.jpg

10-4 .... that is certainly possible

Jim

Top Bottom