• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

11/5/2014 - Tech Talk V41: Engine Part 4

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
They could also be for the fuel injectors now that I look at them more closely, and the spark plugs do go through on the exhaust port side of the engine like the G10's did.

Edit: Looking at the renderings from Part 2 it looks like the plugs are on the exhaust side, and look a lot like the G10's do.
swiderskiturbo.jpg

ec58377b-630b-4964-a456-76a8450b3c9d.jpg

In the engine animation you can see more clearly that the angled holes on the intake side are for the fuel injectors and this is a logical location for them. As you pointed out the spark plug holes appear to be in about the same positions and orientation as the G10 on the exhaust side.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The three plain holes are definitely for the injectors. The Elio will have multi point injection, so the injectors fit In the inlet ports, where they squirt fuel on the back of the intake valves.

The G10 engine, on which this engine is based, was normally fitted with a single injector in the mouth of the inlet manifold. However, the cylinder head actually has an injector orifice already cast in each individual port, although you can't see them from the outside. If you put a finger in the ports you can feel them, although the tops are blanked off as standard. There was a turbo version (G10T) which did use multi point injection; presumably they just milled through these partly formed orifices on those.

KegerChris

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you missed IAV's engineer Kody Klindt's explanation at the show, here it is again. A little tough to hear, but a pretty in depth presentation on the engine

I forsee EGR block-off plates in our future. Every other day at Cummins (no exaggeration) I was replacing an EGR cooler cause they were leaking exhaust into the coolant and vice versa. EGR is mandatory per the EPA, I know that, and using a cooler makes it better for fuel economy, but removing it all together works even better. Everything else he talked about, I'm all about. The engine looks beautiful.

Curious what kind of spark plugs they plan on using.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think we'll see many EGR failures. EGR on diesel engines have issues because of particulate matter clogging everything and NOx and sulfur eating away at seals, as gasoline is so volitile it doesn't have as much trouble with particulates, and while a high compression gasoline engine the Elio engine still won't produce much NOx compared to a 18:1 diesel. Sulfur content in gasoline is however double that allowed in ULSD at 30ppm compared to 15ppm for ULSD.

But I agree, the engine looks great, but much less than 99% complete in the photo's. No oil pan, no timing system, no fuel system, not even fasteners to hold everything together.

Also, the EPA doesn't require an EGR. The EPA sets emissions guidelines and leaves it up to the company to figure out a way to meet them, almost everyone uses one because it's cheap and easy, but it's not required.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think we'll see many EGR failures. EGR on diesel engines have issues because of particulate matter clogging everything and NOx and sulfur eating away at seals, as gasoline is so volitile it doesn't have as much trouble with particulates, and while a high compression gasoline engine the Elio engine still won't produce much NOx compared to a 18:1 diesel. Sulfur content in gasoline is however double that allowed in ULSD at 30ppm compared to 15ppm for ULSD.

But I agree, the engine looks great, but much less than 99% complete in the photo's. No oil pan, no timing system, no fuel system, not even fasteners to hold everything together.

Also, the EPA doesn't require an EGR. The EPA sets emissions guidelines and leaves it up to the company to figure out a way to meet them, almost everyone uses one because it's cheap and easy, but it's not required.

I love all this gear head talk. The gas go in the back right, is that correct?

Top Bottom