• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2/5/2015 - Ksla News 12 Investigation: Elio Could Face Fines With Further Production Delays

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like some people think that EM is not aware of these legal issues regarding sales in some states however if you ask Elio Government Affairs VP Joel Sheltrown you find out he is aware of these issues. Joel, and his team, are well aware of many kinds of legal issues which could affect EM in various states beyond simply helmet and motorcycle license issues as Joel maintains a master spreadsheet, and other documents, where he and his team keep track of many issues including the issues which are not so obvious to most of us.

Just like many other aspects of EM's business what Joel and EM have done is simply prioritize where they concentrate their limited money and time right now. The fact is that the helmet, registration, and motorcycle endorsement issues are the biggest obstructions to EM sales at this point as these even affect online reservation sales. These issues also do not face much opposition when they are introduced which generally allows them to be passed through state legislatures with a minimum of fuss both from legislators and outside groups.

The next step, once the issues preventing easy registration and use of the vehicles in most or all states is resolved, will be to tackle issues such as retail sales locations in certain states. This is certain to be much more problematic as there will be well funded and well politically connected groups which will be in opposition to any such changes in law.

This is where EM will be helped in these battles by the fact that by the time EM tackles the retail sales issue their inexpensive and fuel efficient vehicles should already be in the process of being delivered to reservations holders throughout the country and even within the states which do not allow direct retails sales. Unlike the high end Tesla which is seen by most as a rich mans car it will be much harder for legislators to stand against the low priced and fuel efficient Elio especially when anyone will be able to simply drive across the state line and buy one or go online and order one including having it delivered to them. If I were EM I would actually waive the home delivery charge in states where the law bans direct retails sales of this vehicle as this would both encourage more sales in those states and also highlight the fact that the laws are out of date, ineffective, and do not reflect the realities of the modern world.

Guess my real issue was the NAPA connection. (If real)
Not all of us are lucky enough to have 5 or 6 Pep Boys within 10 or 15 miles like RUCRAYZE.
Heck, my mail box is 11 miles from my house and the nearest.Pep Boys is about 120.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Guess my real issue was the NAPA connection. (If real)
Not all of us are lucky enough to have 5 or 6 Pep Boys within 10 or 15 miles like RUCRAYZE.
Heck, my mail box is 11 miles from my house and the nearest.Pep Boys is about 120.

Indeed I am fortunate that the proposed Elio "Store" will be < 20 miles, In your case, I don't see a problem,= after you pick up your mail you'll only be 109 miles to the Boys!

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be about 250 miles from an Elio Store and a Pep Boys. We have NAPA stores around here, but none have service bays. They just sell parts. I need Elio to hook up with Goodyear, or Sears (if Sears still exists by the time they're shipping Elio's. We've had several Sears stores close in the last couple of years).

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be about 250 miles from an Elio Store and a Pep Boys. We have NAPA stores around here, but none have service bays. They just sell parts. I need Elio to hook up with Goodyear, or Sears (if Sears still exists by the time they're shipping Elio's. We've had several Sears stores close in the last couple of years).

They will be useing old Sears stores for their Marshalling centers.*

* No basis for this statement, just starting a rumor. ;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I need Elio to hook up with Goodyear, or Sears (if Sears still exists by the time they're shipping Elio's. We've had several Sears stores close in the last couple of years).

our daughter works for a major supplier for Sears .... she says that Sears is reorganizing to get back to their roots .... basically, they are closing all but their flagship (as in most profitable) stores and plan to build a heavy online sales operation (much like their catalog sales of years ago)

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
our daughter works for a major supplier for Sears .... she says that Sears is reorganizing to get back to their roots .... basically, they are closing all but their flagship (as in most profitable) stores and plan to build a heavy online sales operation (much like their catalog sales of years ago)

I just loved the old Sears catalogs. Good TP for the outhouse.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just loved the old Sears catalogs. Good TP for the outhouse.

Just a piece of trivia - The West Coast distribution Center for Sears, is currently the headquarters for Starbucks( in Seattle). My daughter was an executive recruiter a few years ago, and I got to see inside. Starbucks had to work around 6 foot concrete columns, spaced about 40 feet apart! -

Top Bottom