• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2024 Chevy Blazer RS

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the Chevy Trax is the cheapest vehicle in their SUV line .... it comes with a 3 liter engine and regular automatic transmission (NO CVT)

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a bad Eco-Tech turbo engine. Pretty poor write ups on the major car reviewers for power and longevity, thats why I started looking at Kia, but it looks like the base version of the Soul just has a 6 speed auto, as soon as you add options (like the EX version) it goes to CVT. Fords seem to all be CVT, and dodge doesnt really offer an econocar anymore (like the neon), at least I cannot find any listed at the dealers. Older used Kias "certified preowned" seem to have better trannies as well, but not sure how that warranty works, I read it and I see a lot of "weasel words", which concerns me some. So far, no dealer has any around here anyway, one just told me "60-90" days. So still babying the Versa. Only thing that may kill that is if I ever need a new converter, that repair will drastically exceed the value of the car, and none are available anyway.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
and dodge doesnt really offer an econocar anymore (like the neon)
Funny story... so I started looking at non-CVT automatic transmission cars (for my girlfriend). I guess I was curious what was out there. It appears the Chevy has a few smaller sedan type models that are non-CVT automatics, but I really didn't find much.
So I went to Dodge's website and you are correct, no more economy type sedans. I did click on the Dodge Challenger, which is in the muscle car family. About that time, my girlfriend came into my office and asked what I was doing. I explained that I was looking for an eventual replacement for her Neon with a non-CVT automatic transmission. In the past, she had always wanted another economy type sedan, until she saw the pictures of the Dodge Challenger and declared "I want that one" and pointed to one of the pictures. So it appears that our dilemma with finding a non-CVT car is over. The Dodge Challenger will replace the Neon when it eventually dies.
I never pictured my girlfriend driving a muscle car (as we are both older individuals), but if that is what she wants... problem solved.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A guy I have been doing work for just bought a VW Jetta. Base model for $18K. It's a 2023 but he got a good price on it because it's a manual and it had been on the lot for a while. I do know that their automatic is not a CVT. I'm amazed at how big it is. I think it's bigger than my Golf Wagon. Riding around in it, it's pretty nice. I think the days of sub $20K cars are over. VW seems to keep cranking out a 4 door sedan while others have stopped. Upon research, they only sell the Jetta in Mexico, US and Canada. They are built in Mexico.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A guy I have been doing work for just bought a VW Jetta.
My mechanic (who does work that is beyond my skill set) warned me off of VW vehicles. He won't work on them. Personally, I haven't worked on any modern VW vehicles, but I do trust his opinion.
My girlfriend seems to be "brand loyal" to Dodge products. She has been diligently saving up for a new car for a few years, now (so she can pay cash for one). She loves the gray Challenger she saw on the Dodge web-site.
Personally, of all the non-CVT vehicles out there, I would prefer she get a Chevy, as I've had good luck with GM products (in the past).
For now, her Neon is doing great -- very dependable little car. I have to admit it is also easy to work on. I might paint it in the Fall as the clear coat is starting to flake off (due to the desert sun), but other than that we have no complaints with it.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was looking into VW as well. Of course in the past they had a good rep, but most car makers I have seen these days have declined drastically in quality on all models. In my mind, nothing compares to the quality of cars you could buy in the 80's, and they couldn't compare to the 50's. My 1957 Chevy Bel Aire was a joy to work on, every component could be easily accessed and removed, but that was hardly ever needed as they were pretty much all cast iron. Changing a water pump or an alternator took 30 minutes, at most. Swapping out a radiator was a piece of cake. Even changing a tranny or clutch was easy. I could change the clutch in my 1969 Vette in 3 hours, and most of that was jacking up all four corners of the car and blocking it up at 30" from the floor.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
when we ordered Maureen's Blazer we requested it be available for pickup around Sept 1st .... just got a call that it has been moved to a list where it will be assigned a build date .... once given a date their vehicles are usually delivered to the dealership within 30 days .... while not certain, that looks good for it to be delivered on time

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
another step, happily this is a big one .. :thumb: .. we received notice a few minutes ago that Maureen's Blazer has been "Built and Stored" ... which means it is fully assembled and is now stored until shipment in a secure location where final inspections may be made .... that puts it on track to be delivered around the time we are due to get back home from spending the summer in South Dakota

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Exciting to take delivery on a new vehicle. I’ve always test driven and did a detailed walk around new cars I’ve purchased from dealer inventory.
I've been a good friend, back in the 70's, with a fellow who back then was a mechanic at the dealership where we buy our vehicles .... none, he's a mechanic, not a tech .... part of the deal we've made on every vehicle is for him to test drive and evaluate it before deal is final .... that point is specifically written in the contract we have made for this Blazer as well

. Post a photo after you take delivery.
you can count on it :thumb:

Top Bottom