• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

250,000 Units Per Year ?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about an air mattress?
Jim, I like your style. This one will fit just fine. Amazing idea.
image.jpg image.jpg

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
250k units seems like a very round number and as such, surely represents an aspirational target rather than a fixed, make-or-break one. Still, I think it will be easily achievable at the target pricepoint. Lots of commuters can afford one as a second car while used-car buyers, including first-timers, kids, and the working poor will naturally cross-shop used versus new. It's not at all hard to imagine the mental gymnastics involved in car buying with the Elio in the mix. "Let's see. I can get a 7 year old Honda Civic wih 122k miles on it or a brand new Elio for exactly the same price. Hmm. Tough call."

Once Elio gets rolling I might short-sell CarMax if they are tradable, becasue those guys live and die on low margin used vehicles whose average price is higher than a brand-new Elio.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they don't hit 250 per year, they will definitely need to increase the price to make enough profit to sustain life. The introductory price is certainly an attention getter but they cannot continue very long with this price unless the option packages substantially increase profits

The more I think about it, the more I think the real business model looks something like....

1) Get the car out there to prove there is a demand. Sell it at cost if you have to, just get it out there!
2) Once car is established as a viable product, sell the company lock stock and barrel to one of the Big 3. They'll love it for the points on the CAFE standards alone!
3) Retire to the Bahamas.

Not that there's anything wrong with that business model, but it could explain the ultra low price and such.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Regarding "virginity shields" I can remember in 1968 editing a news story about a British court that had found an accused rapist not guilty, on the grounds that even consensual sex was impossible in a MiniCooper. (They were a lot smaller then than they are today).

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The way I look at it is that anyone who likes the look is already hooked. Those four items merely make the decision easier as it is affordable to just about everyone while also offering class leading fuel economy, being safer than many used cars out there for the same price, and is American made.

For anyone who is considering an Elio but is neutral on the design some, or all, of those four items would be what puts them over the top and convinces them to buy one.

It is true that some people who don't like the look will not buy it no matter what however we all know there are plenty of people who will buy this vehicle regardless of not liking how it looks because they need an inexpensive and/or reliable (ie...not used) and/or ultra fuel efficient vehicle. Being safe and American made makes it much easier for these people to make that decision.

So some, or all, of the four EM goals do ultimately play a role in all purchases no matter where you stand on the design. :)
You know, I don't think "safer than many used cars" is a line I've heard from Elio or anyone else about this car -- good one.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My14 y.o. son wants a Mustang when he gets his DL because the girls love Mustangs. I told him he should get an Elio because girls actually love whatever leaves him with money to spend on them.
I only that were true -- they have to be college age before that dawns on them. At 16 or so, it's all about the flash.

Top Bottom