• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

250,000 Units Per Year ?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Big 3 might buy it and shut it down. Their biz models (and their values) are completely at odds with Paul Elio's. If the biz turns out to be viable, he'll keep it, create a trust binding on his heirs, or do something else to keep it from falling into the hands of the Big 3.
There is no way they'd shut it down... selling Eli is at cost and banking all the carbon credits let's them sell more profitable SUVs.

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to all the forum members who have responded to my postings...the Elio Vehicle certainly makes for spirited discussion...

So...let's play a little game called "what if"!

"What if" the Elio Vehicle actually comes to market in the next 12-18 months...and the base price stays close to $6,800...MPG rating are confirmed to be near the original estimates...and crash tests rating turn out to be acceptable to consumers...

"What if" consumers flock to Elio Showrooms...and within 2 years...Elio is selling the 250,000 yearly units that Paul Elio has projected...

250,000 unit is a huge number for any niche vehicle...I'm assuming the major players such as GM...Ford...Toyota...Honda...would quickly develop a Elio type vehicle so they could participate in that 250,000 unit niche market...

So..."what if" Elio is a huge success story...but in the end...the major automotive companies come to market with their own "Elio Spec" vehicles...and severely dilute Elio's own customer base...and build their own interpretation of the Elio concept...

The major automotive manufacturers are very competitive...and tend to build products to fill any large niche that a another competitor opens up...

250,000 annual units will not go unnoticed...

Any thoughts?

Just a few random thoughts with no specific purpose in mind. Just playing a game. A strategy used in many different ways by those seeking to expand their influence. Divide and conquer, a strategy that breaks up existing power structures to accomplish some unknown goal. Plant seeds of distrust among the population, the end of which is to find those who are willing to work with the sovereign. Maybe a socialogical experiment for amusement purposes. Maybe a term paper. Maybe a strategy with an economic purpose such as steering people to ones viewpoint in a very competitive market. I don't know, I'm probably way off base. Just random gibberish from an old man. Just disregard. Hard to take anyone seriously on a message board when they are totally anonymous. But then again this is just a game.

Last edited:

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to all the forum members who have responded to my postings...the Elio Vehicle certainly makes for spirited discussion...

The major automotive manufacturers are very competitive...and tend to build products to fill any large niche that a another competitor opens up...

Any thoughts?

There is an urgent demand for transportation options that reduce demand on fossil fuels. The established automotive companies are stuck in four wheels, CAFE-driven hell right now. They have mandated targets for fuel economy improvements but few market-ready, cost-effective options for hitting them. The Elio will be a low-margin endeavor - not exactly where the big automakers like to or want to be. If (IF) somehow CAFE standards get changed and Elio-like designs can be included, then it is certain the mainstream companies will pile in, if nothing else just to find a way to continue to build what lots of folks want - Escalades - while meeting CAFE fleet targets. If CAFE continues to exclude Elio-like designs I see Elio getting a several year grace period while the market figures out where this fits.

You pose provocative questions, TexasElio. Welcome to the forum.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"What if" the Elio Vehicle actually comes to market in the next 12-18 months...and the base price stays close to $6,800...MPG rating are confirmed to be near the original estimates...and crash tests rating turn out to be acceptable to consumers...

"What if" consumers flock to Elio Showrooms...and within 2 years...Elio is selling the 250,000 yearly units that Paul Elio has projected...

250,000 unit is a huge number for any niche vehicle...I'm assuming the major players such as GM...Ford...Toyota...Honda...would quickly develop a Elio type vehicle so they could participate in that 250,000 unit niche market...

So..."what if" Elio is a huge success story...but in the end...the major automotive companies come to market with their own "Elio Spec" vehicles...and severely dilute Elio's own customer base...and build their own interpretation of the Elio concept...

Any thoughts?

The world would be a better place, and you would look like a fool.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Any thoughts?
You said: "Thanks to all the forum members who have responded to my postings"

Don't you really mean: Thanks to all the forum members who have given me attention.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once Elio gets rolling I might short-sell CarMax if they are tradable, becasue those guys live and die on low margin used vehicles whose average price is higher than a brand-new Elio.

Careful on that short. The Elio is definitely not for everyone . Many of "us" find it kitschy-cool but many more are not fans of the style . Some are even afraid of the 3 wheel profile . I show the Elio whenever I can and get mostly negative responses . I would estimate that less than 1/100 believe as I do in the Elio value proposition. Sub $9k quirky vehicle is affordable for Baby Boomers which discretionary bucks , but don't expect the working masses to dive down the rabbit hole with us. In a recent interview I saw with Paul Elio , his response to the question , " Who do you see buying your vehicle" , he plainly said .........Mostly affluent folks . If I were running his marketing , I would pander to Hipsters . The Millennials represent a key market segment to target.
Cheap , uniquely urban and fuel efficient are values that this younger segment could embrace .

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Careful on that short. The Elio is definitely not for everyone . Many of "us" find it kitschy-cool but many more are not fans of the style . Some are even afraid of the 3 wheel profile . I show the Elio whenever I can and get mostly negative responses . I would estimate that less than 1/100 believe as I do in the Elio value proposition.
While I'm the exception to what you said, I prove the rule, because, while my wife understands, I have yet to get anybody else interested in it and even I find it an ugly duckling. But I'll gladly take my friends laughing at my car for 84mpg for less than the price of a used car.

Top Bottom