• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

250,000 Units Per Year ?

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I'm the exception to what you said, I prove the rule, because, while my wife understands, I have yet to get anybody else interested in it and even I find it an ugly duckling. But I'll gladly take my friends laughing at my car for 84mpg for less than the price of a used car.
The VW Beetle was a huge success when gas was 19 cents a gallon. It was basic, plain, with few options, and cheap, and really didn't that good gas mileage, when the rest of America was buying huge Fords, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles. We've seen gas prices approach $5.00 a gallon, and we will again. I suspect the E-car will be an equally huge success. Almost everyone I have shown the concept to has been impressed, and many are waiting for me to get mine, a few have even gone All-in. I mean really, American made, 5 star safety rating, 84 MPG for under $7,000. What's not to love, and who wouldn't want one? I, like many of you, just can't get mine soon enough.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that this is still a theoretical product scares most potential buyers away. It is also very likely that majority of people will never seriously consider an Elio however there will be a large minority of people who will be attracted to this vehicle for a multitude of reasons when it actually becomes available at a retail center near them. Traditional motorcycle manufacturers have done very well, selling on average just under half a million units per year in the USA, with a much smaller potential sales market than will exist for Elio Motors.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Careful on that short. The Elio is definitely not for everyone . Many of "us" find it kitschy-cool but many more are not fans of the style . Some are even afraid of the 3 wheel profile . I show the Elio whenever I can and get mostly negative responses . I would estimate that less than 1/100 believe as I do in the Elio value proposition. Sub $9k quirky vehicle is affordable for Baby Boomers which discretionary bucks , but don't expect the working masses to dive down the rabbit hole with us. In a recent interview I saw with Paul Elio , his response to the question , " Who do you see buying your vehicle" , he plainly said .........Mostly affluent folks . If I were running his marketing , I would pander to Hipsters . The Millennials represent a key market segment to target.
Cheap , uniquely urban and fuel efficient are values that this younger segment could embrace .
That's strange. In the following video, Paul Elio says something completely different from "Mostly affluent folks."

Approximately at time 3:40

Note my signature and think about it.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Listen to his answer at 1:30

I believe Fox did not do an accurate job of this. They asked who is buying this and Paul Elio answered who is buying this which is , he says, wealthier people because they are the ones who can afford to put a thousand dollars down and wait a year. Then Fox put up a sign on the screen saying those are the ones EM is targeting. I believe EM is targeting everyone but at the present, only the wealthier ones are putting money down for the reason he stated. Who they are targeting and who is actually depositing are two different thing. Fox asked one thing and posted something that is not quite the same thing.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One could argue that Elio is not "targeting" anyone . Besides showing it at county fairs throughout the country , I don't see any target marketing.
I did not intend to disrupt your belief system . I offered Paul's own words to bolster my own beliefs .
I think until it finds it's ultimate identity it's more a niche vehicle for folks with deep pockets .
If you think the Elio is akin to the VW Beatle in it's wide appeal , good for you . I hope you're right .

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One could argue that Elio is not "targeting" anyone . Besides showing it at county fairs throughout the country , I don't see any target marketing.
I did not intend to disrupt your belief system . I offered Paul's own words to bolster my own beliefs .
I think until it finds it's ultimate identity it's more a niche vehicle for folks with deep pockets .
If you think the Elio is akin to the VW Beatle in it's wide appeal , good for you . I hope you're right .
Our pockets are not that deep, that's why we have opted for 2 $6800 Elio's instead of 1 $20,000 car from another maker. One will replace an 11 yo commuter car, the other will keep the miles down on the truck, for running around town. At this point we can wait until the Elios arrive in our drive way. As Ben Franklin put it, a penny saved is a penny earned. We plan on saving and earning lots of pennies with our Elios!:)

Top Bottom