• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3/4/2015 - Elio Motors Tech Talk V58 - Recent Frontal Crash Test Simulation

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/gms-using-simulated-crashes-build-safer-cars/

GM’s Using Simulated Crashes to Build Safer Cars

Intro to the article: "Crash test videos make for great marketing: They’re a clear sign an automaker is so concerned about your safety, it built piles of cars for the express purpose of slamming them into a wall and seeing how the poor dummy inside fared. But they’re also costly and time-consuming. And, like so many things we’re used to doing in the real world, they’re happening more and more on computer screens instead."

Excellent article! :)

This article just reinforces the fact that Elio Motors is conducting their crash testing program in the same manner, and using the same technology, as the big established auto manufacturers. :cool:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Man, that is interesting. There is SO much engineering in a modern vehicle that us just not at all apparent to the average person, even to folks like us who are mechanically curious, and to the vast majority of drivers, just a car.

This graphically shows how far we've come.

2009 Chevy Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air Crash Test:
Couldn't they have used some other old car and not a 1959 Chevy? What a waste!

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read a report (don't recall where) about a test of a particular expensive brand of car with an automatic braking system. The test involved using a cardboard image of a rear of a car with the test car approaching at high speed and self-stopping. The first test was a failure -- the car did not stop and plowed into the cardboard fake. The test engineer explained the on-board computer "saw" the fake car but didn't stop because the computer "knew" is wasn't a real car.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read a report (don't recall where) about a test of a particular expensive brand of car with an automatic braking system. The test involved using a cardboard image of a rear of a car with the test car approaching at high speed and self-stopping. The first test was a failure -- the car did not stop and plowed into the cardboard fake. The test engineer explained the on-board computer "saw" the fake car but didn't stop because the computer "knew" is wasn't a real car.
I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you. Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I think that's the kind of decision I'd like to make for myself!
To err is human. To really screw things up requires a computer!

Top Bottom