• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One more piece of holiday candy I could have provided, not that it's a great idea, but saddle bags?
View attachment 3823
how about a "scoop" type look? I am not good at sketch up and have the most minimal amount of time.. I was barely able to work this out.. it needs rounder edges and a intake like front end.. the scoop angled back for the best aerodynamics. .maybe even providing a little spoiler effect??
scooped.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, you did good. You actually learned quite a bit to get to there. To get your curves, draw a flat plane where you want it, put end points (one point of arbitrary lines) on the plane then use the arch tool to place segments of arch's, then remove the plane. If this is the front of a scoop, create a profile for the grill edge, and use the FollowMe tool to pull it around the front edge. Look those up in you-tube they will serve you well. Also use groups and resize together for all kinds of 'try-this-try-that'. You can select, make and explode back out from groups very easily.

My theory on design, there are cosmetic reasons for things and functional ones. I don't mind at all doing pure cosmetic, but truly I revel in functional (1st) married to a desirable look (2nd). I could see a purpose in the scoop as a clandestine saddlebag. I don't mind that kind of trickery at all. We could even justify the scoop as a optional air source for the passenger. I'll think about that one. It does come at the cost of some aerodynamics, as you well know.

One way I use the 3d, get the model at the right angle to view, print the screen to paper, then hand draw in an idea. Scan it back to the PC, then send to whom ever, or import and use it as a template. If you do up two angles you can project that back to 3d fairly easily.

So a little more fun here.. I HAD to see a green version of the Super with wire wheels.
To honor the Messerschmitt Super I probably should do a white Elio Super too.
Any other color/pattern suggestions, for any of the models?
ElioSuperGreen.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My holiday's shopping is all done! Hope yours is too! So I had time to try out some racing dress-up, just cause I was curious. And of course, I share it here with you!

Merry XMas, an Elio-Super-8 !
Isn't an (E)ight the best number for an (E)lio?

I've always believed that the stripe shows where the occupants are if there is a crash or fire, and that it was actually a test-pilot thing that racing adopted. I have no evidence for that, I just thunk-it. :)

ElioSuperStripe.png

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My holiday's shopping is all done! Hope yours is too! So I had time to try out some racing dress-up, just cause I was curious. And of course, I share it here with you!

Merry XMas, an Elio-Super-8 !
Isn't an (E)ight the best number for an (E)lio?

I've always believed that the stripe shows where the occupants are if there is a crash or fire, and that it was actually a test-pilot thing that racing adopted. I have no evidence for that, I just thunk-it. :)

View attachment 3928
AriLea, thanks for another fantastic design. For those who have been reading my posts know I have said from the beginning that some day we will see Elio's on the race track. AriLea's design reaffirms my belief. His work is creative and insightful and certainly opens up the possibilities.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I had this thought, given an existing headlight location, with out modifying the body (so you can undo what you did, or at least for a low effort conversion) what can you do with that? Literally go outside the box? Remove the old and just bolt them in.

Also, the Elio is such a mix of old and new, you can serve many different genres. And the late 40's-early 50's aerodynamic look could be one of them. Kuda got me thinking that way, and I have the intent to serve up his, but for now, how about this 'Aerdyne' look with a convenient retro headlight set-up? If you drive it, you must wear some spats style shoes!
Think of the white strips as chrome. Before I upload it to the 3d library I want to consider a grill as well. But something not too overdone as they did a lot back then.

ElioAerodyne.png

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I had this thought, given an existing headlight location, with out modifying the body (so you can undo what you did, or at least for a low effort conversion) what can you do with that? Literally go outside the box? Remove the old and just bolt them in.

Also, the Elio is such a mix of old and new, you can serve many different genres. And the late 40's-early 50's aerodynamic look could be one of them. Kuda got me thinking that way, and I have the intent to serve up his, but for now, how about this 'Aerdyne' look with a convenient retro headlight set-up? If you drive it, you must wear some spats style shoes!
Think of the white strips as chrome. Before I upload it to the 3d library I want to consider a grill as well. But something not too overdone as they did a lot back then.

View attachment 3941
It is surprising how much closer together the headlights look in this rendering compared to the P4 even though they are in the same place. Very interesting. :-) Z

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
,So I have an early xmas present for you. I wanted to experiment a little, so I made the 'Elio Classic'. Just so you know Santa was listening, it has 'Wire Wheels' a luggage rack, external Headlights AND a trailer!

The 3d will be available in the Elio Fan collection, hopefully in a few minutes. Their server seems slow to post tonight.
View attachment 3811
Dang AriLea I think you got me sold on #2 being Red Hot, with wire wheels!:D

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, you did good. You actually learned quite a bit to get to there. To get your curves, draw a flat plane where you want it, put end points (one point of arbitrary lines) on the plane then use the arch tool to place segments of arch's, then remove the plane. If this is the front of a scoop, create a profile for the grill edge, and use the FollowMe tool to pull it around the front edge. Look those up in you-tube they will serve you well. Also use groups and resize together for all kinds of 'try-this-try-that'. You can select, make and explode back out from groups very easily.

My theory on design, there are cosmetic reasons for things and functional ones. I don't mind at all doing pure cosmetic, but truly I revel in functional (1st) married to a desirable look (2nd). I could see a purpose in the scoop as a clandestine saddlebag. I don't mind that kind of trickery at all. We could even justify the scoop as a optional air source for the passenger. I'll think about that one. It does come at the cost of some aerodynamics, as you well know.

One way I use the 3d, get the model at the right angle to view, print the screen to paper, then hand draw in an idea. Scan it back to the PC, then send to whom ever, or import and use it as a template. If you do up two angles you can project that back to 3d fairly easily.

So a little more fun here.. I HAD to see a green version of the Super with wire wheels.
To honor the Messerschmitt Super I probably should do a white Elio Super too.
Any other color/pattern suggestions, for any of the models?
View attachment 3896
AriLea, thanks for all that information, I'll give it a try when I can. probably Christmas day since I wont be working, for a change. I like the green sport version.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is surprising how much closer together the headlights look in this rendering compared to the P4 even though they are in the same place. Very interesting. :) Z
To tell the truth, they are actually displaced outward 4 or 5 inches each, or about 10 total. Yes the perception of things is hugely important when you design stuff with lots of black magic methods to getting a specific look. In this case I think the smaller lights, which are in the old position leave less dark space between left and right. Moving it forward did as well.
Another example of a trick is, a white object on top of a darker field, can often look bigger than a dark object on top of a light field.
I love stuff like that.

One problem with my 3d's in Sketchup, there is no reflections in it. Those highlights make the topography of things stand out. Sharp is more sharp and round more roundish. I am hopeful a shiny version of these designs will only look better.

My Atlantric in my icon image at the left of this page is all flat primer. That form looks best when it isn't flattened, so it also would only look better in final paint and clear coat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom