• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Printer To Build Car In 44 Hours

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well, the feds got kinda snooty about the printed gun stuff so thats not all that popular any more but still cool!

The "Gov" gets snooty about anything they can't tax or regulate (dang...don't get me going on that!:mad:... :D).
Not sure if anyone's interested, but there's a FANTASTIC 3D CAD program called "FreeCad". It's open source (a.k.a. - FREE!), has lots of tutorials for people new to CAD, and has most of the parametric modeling capabilities as some of the $3k per seat software used by professionals.

If you're retired and curious, or not, and just have too much time on your hands ;) and want to learn something new, check it out.

http://freecadweb.org/

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1605.JPG Saw the Strati at the beginning of the Dragon Sunday. US highway 129. Was really small.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The "Gov" gets snooty about anything they can't tax or regulate (dang...don't get me going on that!:mad:... :D).
Not sure if anyone's interested, but there's a FANTASTIC 3D CAD program called "FreeCad". It's open source (a.k.a. - FREE!), has lots of tutorials for people new to CAD, and has most of the parametric modeling capabilities as some of the $3k per seat software used by professionals.

If you're retired and curious, or not, and just have too much time on your hands ;) and want to learn something new, check it out.

http://freecadweb.org/

I will check it out. It sounds really cool.

I am also checking out ReactOS. It is a free open source 'clone' of Windows. It is still in development but - IMO - worth checking out.
http://www.reactos.org

I think Local Motors created a cool little car using a 3 D printer. Strati.
lighter.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will check it out. It sounds really cool.

I am also checking out ReactOS. It is a free open source 'clone' of Windows. It is still in development but - IMO - worth checking out.
http://www.reactos.org

I think Local Motors created a cool little car using a 3 D printer. Strati.
lighter.jpg

I'd like to update my recommendation for free CAD software to include Designspark Mechanical.
https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/mechanical-software

Not only is the mechanical version of the software the most intuitive to use that I've come across [it's a pared down version of SpaceClaim, a VERY high-end CAD software], it also offers a free electronics CAD software that allows users to create printed circuit boards with plug and play predesigned components, you can test the function of the board, and order the parts with a click of a button that creates a bill of material of the components you added to your creation. Pure genius on RS's part as they are an electronics components retailer.

The only downside to DSM is that it requires an internet connection to operate unlike FreeCAD which is stand-alone and portable [can be loaded onto a thumb-drive and ran on other computers]. I use both, but I'd say that 90% of the projects I've created for my 3D printer have been made on DSM. Very cool, TONS of tutorials on Youtube, and best of all, FREE!!

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One bad thing about a 3D-Printed car is, if it ever gets in a collision, the entire vehicle must be replaced. There arent any bumpers or frames to straighten out after a collision.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One bad thing about a 3D-Printed car is, if it ever gets in a collision, the entire vehicle must be replaced. There arent any bumpers or frames to straighten out after a collision.
Interesting.... hmm... In the future, if 3 printed cars are common, then so could repair shops with 3d re-printing.

Disassemble to some degree, cut out the damage, scan and re-print, Re-build what needs it, re-assemble, sand a little and paint, done.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting.... hmm... In the future, if 3 printed cars are common, then so could repair shops with 3d re-printing.

Disassemble to some degree, cut out the damage, scan and re-print, Re-build what needs it, re-assemble, sand a little and paint, done.

Exactly!! Scan the damage. Compare the damaged area to the original model to see what needs to be trimmed out and rebuilt to make it like new. Hit the button and let the CNC mill and 3D printer do the rest. Maybe a little fine tuning of the repair after it's done.

And I can even picture 5-axis 3d printers on a consumer level being a reality in the near future. I've only had my Robo3D R1 for a year, upgraded the nozzle/hot end and controller, and seriously considering the dual nozzle upgrade...That or just get the new Robo3D R2 that's coming out in January [Christmas present from Santa Claus, to Santa Claus!!]. Hmmm...decisions.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exactly!! Scan the damage. Compare the damaged area to the original model to see what needs to be trimmed out and rebuilt to make it like new. Hit the button and let the CNC mill and 3D printer do the rest. Maybe a little fine tuning of the repair after it's done.

And I can even picture 5-axis 3d printers on a consumer level being a reality in the near future. I've only had my Robo3D R1 for a year, upgraded the nozzle/hot end and controller, and seriously considering the dual nozzle upgrade...That or just get the new Robo3D R2 that's coming out in January [Christmas present from Santa Claus, to Santa Claus!!]. Hmmm...decisions.
Size matters of course, so I can imagine you might have to exchange the subframe for a re-built one. All this only works if things are in materials that work for 3d-printing, such as Mr Lovin's composites, and the chassis has a modular design so quarters or thirds can be detached. When it gets to the point of a full unibody or full frame then we're simply talking about using the old car as a donor with an exchange clause.

But that's the other conversation about future manufacturing in a 3d-print world, longevity of a platform and local industry involvement. If the new paradigm is local or self assembly(or private garage 're-modeling'), the Ikea of automotive products, even the definition of globalization is up for re-definition.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can you imaging Ford using these printers instead of stamping steel? Assume the printers print perfectly and the parts are as good as existing ones...

The printer prints one car in 44 hours. That's pretty fast... To keep up with one assembly line, Ford would need a bunch of them... Let's say Ford wants to build 250,000 cars and just wants to use printers. One printer can print 199 cars per year. They'd only need 1,256 printers to keep up. If the printers were faster, and I'm sure they will be someday, it might be feasible but they'd have to be a lot faster.

Ever wonder how many vehicles a Ford plant actually makes? Here's the 2012 STATS on just one of Ford's plants:

The Kansas City plant had the highest output of any car factory on U.S. soil last year, thanks in part to Ford cranking up production of the Escape. The factory built 321,322 examples of the Ford Escape in 2011, because Ford wanted to produce as many as possible before the all-new 2013 Escape went on sale this summer. The 4.7-million square-foot Kansas City plant also produced 135,039 Ford F-Series trucks and 3977 examples of the Mazda Tribute (a rebadged Ford Escape).

Top Bottom