• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Printer To Build Car In 44 Hours

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can you imaging Ford using these printers instead of stamping steel? Assume the printers print perfectly and the parts are as good as existing ones...

The printer prints one car in 44 hours. That's pretty fast... To keep up with one assembly line, Ford would need a bunch of them... Let's say Ford wants to build 250,000 cars and just wants to use printers. One printer can print 199 cars per year. They'd only need 1,256 printers to keep up. If the printers were faster, and I'm sure they will be someday, it might be feasible but they'd have to be a lot faster.

Ever wonder how many vehicles a Ford plant actually makes? Here's the 2012 STATS on just one of Ford's plants:

The Kansas City plant had the highest output of any car factory on U.S. soil last year, thanks in part to Ford cranking up production of the Escape. The factory built 321,322 examples of the Ford Escape in 2011, because Ford wanted to produce as many as possible before the all-new 2013 Escape went on sale this summer. The 4.7-million square-foot Kansas City plant also produced 135,039 Ford F-Series trucks and 3977 examples of the Mazda Tribute (a rebadged Ford Escape).
It's all very much a futurism discussion(a distant future). The GM/Ford/VW/Toyota way is concentrated in centralized, specialized, high volume production facilities at a high investment cost. Being at a high volume, each vehicle is kept down. And the product is serviced with parts in the same manufacturing model, requiring storage or high sustained sales to keep it up. The expectation is a product that is obsolete in 5 to 10 years. In this system nothing is totally custom or flexible. Everyone, customer or supplier, 100% re-invests in everything in that time cycle.

Possibly 3d printing is a flexible and generalized facility, maybe even distributed and locally processed where a GM or Toyota design can be printed on the fly. Choosing major options? not a big deal. Getting custom variation, OK if skills are in touch. Getting a replacement part 50 years from now? Not a big deal. (in theory)

The car may cost more as well as the factory cost. But both only require the one investment for the next XXyears. So conceptually both get financed much longer, for a lower overall monthly cost. The repair parts may also cost more, but they are available forever from any local 3d shop in the world. Prices probably would be pushed down though distant competition. You replace the actual car almost never, but replace parts of it almost anytime you feel a you need to.

Anything lending itself to modular assembly, like the VW beetle or Lotus 7 is perfect for this. Upgrading assemblies or parts as new tech comes available for it. In this world local shops and customers benefit as well as 3d printer factories who keep their costs down. Centralized manufacturing would be wiped out except where 3d printing can't suffice.

But back to America, if you do this right we win back much of what we lost overseas. Do this wrong and we lose more of the game in the world of economics.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can you imaging Ford using these printers instead of stamping steel? Assume the printers print perfectly and the parts are as good as existing ones...

The printer prints one car in 44 hours. That's pretty fast... To keep up with one assembly line, Ford would need a bunch of them... Let's say Ford wants to build 250,000 cars and just wants to use printers. One printer can print 199 cars per year. They'd only need 1,256 printers to keep up. If the printers were faster, and I'm sure they will be someday, it might be feasible but they'd have to be a lot faster.

Ever wonder how many vehicles a Ford plant actually makes? Here's the 2012 STATS on just one of Ford's plants:

The Kansas City plant had the highest output of any car factory on U.S. soil last year, thanks in part to Ford cranking up production of the Escape. The factory built 321,322 examples of the Ford Escape in 2011, because Ford wanted to produce as many as possible before the all-new 2013 Escape went on sale this summer. The 4.7-million square-foot Kansas City plant also produced 135,039 Ford F-Series trucks and 3977 examples of the Mazda Tribute (a rebadged Ford Escape).

Agreed! 3D printers are painfully slow compared to injection molded or stamped parts. Where 3D printers shine is the ability to think of, design, and have a physical part in your hand within minutes. It's never before been possible.

example: Daughter's baby stroller broke a front wheel support. G-Pa [that's me] whips off the broken bits, glues them together for measuring, CADs it up with DSM, and has a new one printed out of nylon, much stronger than the original, and reassembled within an hour. Daughter's happy, baby's happy, and G-Pa's ecstatic that he didn't have to drop $300 for a new stroller.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So... what do you make with your 3D printer? (Maybe this should be a new thread...)

Most of my stuff is either repair parts for various stuff around the house or work related items [patent pending :spy:].
I did make an obsolete throttle linkage bracket for an OLD Evinrude outb'd motor. Printed it out of some carbon graphite filament I have [very stiff] and it's in use today. Pic below of the throttle bracket modeled in DSM before heading to the slicer software for printing. Took two tries to get the arc correct [the original was in sad shape and missing bits], but works perfect says the guy that has it in service.

Evinrude throttle bracket.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So in the future you'd buy and download the part you want; go out to your garage where you'll have the printer, and a bit later, you have your new part. No more shipping, no more obsolete parts.
Or you can go to a site and buy a kit that has the file, and the material needed; it's delivered to you; or someone one that has the BIG printer makes it for you, tah dah, new custom part.
Yeah, I can see that. Car factories would be 5,000 printers popping out made to order cars; and deaf operators.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I agree that someday the Tech will be in place for complete auto printing that makes sense. I can even see where wires and cables are "printed in place" and multiple kinds of media are used and put right in place. For that matter, why not print out an OLED outer surface so the user can change the vehicle's color at will... maybe some kind of E-INK. Right now, taking 44 hours to print a car is too long for central manufacturing but imagine a regional car dealer that would let you pick out a car and then let you sit and watch your new car being printed. Imagine, you could take the kids to watch the car finish being printed out and then you just walk up and drive away.

The end game, I would assume would be printing on a molecular level. Just think, while printing the car, you could make sure you print out a full tank of gas as you go. I mean, if you are manipulating atoms...

I can't remember where but I read a story where there was a planet that we found with teleportation phone booths... you'd get in one and it would scan you and reassemble you exactly somewhere else. Anyway, they found a phone booth that only had one button and it just transported you to the phone booth across the room. The booth you left was filled with a hazy cloud which was sucked away. Spoiler alert: It had transported you but not your cancer or bad viral stuff. I think it also repaired your telomerase which gets shorter with each cell regeneration and is basically how we age. In effect, it was a "fountain of youth". I mean, why not?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't remember where but I read a story where there was a planet that we found with teleportation phone booths... you'd get in one and it would scan you and reassemble you exactly somewhere else. Anyway, they found a phone booth that only had one button and it just transported you to the phone booth across the room. The booth you left was filled with a hazy cloud which was sucked away. Spoiler alert: It had transported you but not your cancer or bad viral stuff. I think it also repaired your telomerase which gets shorter with each cell regeneration and is basically how we age. In effect, it was a "fountain of youth". I mean, why not?
Oh yes, I read that one. I think it was a Robert A. Heinlein , wait no can't find anything like that on his Wikipedia.
Is that the one where all men's DNA is purged from humans and only cloning is allowed, except for one exception that creates our hero? Hmm maybe not. But in the story he is a cryogenic time-traveler to a future where only one woman exists and only our one man with normal DNA. There's a lost boys tribe that has modified DNA giving near immortality, but they can never grow up. And they somehow don't know what the transporters actually do. Complexities continue from there....
I think the gender and family roles in general were under examination in that one. Basically the reader gets drawn into the resurrection of the basic family unit, but with the twist of keeping the youth-recovery-transporters.

Didn't find it here either... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleportation_in_fiction

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm...I think for my next project I'll 3D print a set of rails to keep things on topic on this forum. :D
[just kidding Ari and Ty...they haven't developed a filament that could handle the side loads of a topic switch yet! :rolleyes:;)]

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They have a 3D printer on the ISS. There was a fairly big news story in 2014 where they "emailed a part" to the ISS to fix something.

ISS astronaut needs a wrench, NASA successfully 'emails' him one

Our QE [quality engineer] has a fully functional Crescent Wrench made on a 3D printer sitting on his desk. It was designed with tolerances that allowed it to be printed in one operation instead of multiple pieces that needed assembly. VERY cool! They use a dissolvable support material which is why a dual nozzle set up is next on my list of upgrades for my printer...Or better yet, a newer model that's already set up with dual nozzles. :eyebrows:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I agree that someday the Tech will be in place for complete auto printing that makes sense. I can even see where wires and cables are "printed in place" and multiple kinds of media are used and put right in place. For that matter, why not print out an OLED outer surface so the user can change the vehicle's color at will... maybe some kind of E-INK. Right now, taking 44 hours to print a car is too long for central manufacturing but imagine a regional car dealer that would let you pick out a car and then let you sit and watch your new car being printed. Imagine, you could take the kids to watch the car finish being printed out and then you just walk up and drive away.

The end game, I would assume would be printing on a molecular level. Just think, while printing the car, you could make sure you print out a full tank of gas as you go. I mean, if you are manipulating atoms...

Our QE [quality engineer] has a fully functional Crescent Wrench made on a 3D printer sitting on his desk. It was designed with tolerances that allowed it to be printed in one operation instead of multiple pieces that needed assembly. VERY cool! They use a dissolvable support material which is why a dual nozzle set up is next on my list of upgrades for my printer...Or better yet, a newer model that's already set up with dual nozzles. :eyebrows:
Sweet. I'm a little jealous of those with the printers. My brother once made a ... Well, it was shaped like a big jack that was inside a metal box-like shape. If you were to make a box out of sticks and only outlined all the edges except it had that big "plus" jack shape in it. It was done on a manual mill in brass. too cool.

Top Bottom