• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

48 Volt Hybrids Coming In Just Over A Year!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is exactly the reality we live in. Battery prices still need to drop more for an electric Elio to make financial sense so we are still at least several years away from this becoming a realistic alternative.

Of course some people do not care about the cost and will convert their Elio's to electric anyhow so that will be a lot of fun for us to watch happen. :cool:
That's exactly right. Elio may even come out with one. Toyota sells a lot of hybrids even though financially, the buyers won't come out ahead. However, price isn't the only thing that motivates people. I'm buying my Elio to encourage the company, competition, and other buyers. I want to see us use less oil. Good for the environment? Sure. Who knows how much damage if any we are doing. Good for the economy? Absolutely. The more dollars I can keep in the US vs. sending to "other" countries for oil, the better. Maybe, just maybe if we were self sufficient, we wouldn't be so fast to get involved in areas that may require me to do another deployment. (I know the effects of buying an Elio are miniscule but I'm reminded of the starfish story)

Girl and her Daddy walking on the beach that's covered in starfish. She's throwing them back in the water. Dad says "There are so many of them. You can't possibly be making a difference." The girl picks another one up and tosses it into the water. "Made a difference to that one."

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would certainly consider buying an electric only version should one become available. While admittedly a small market now, there is a growing cohort of those who have home solar set-ups and for these folks, being able to charge up the EVilio (ok - that's wrong...but oh so right too) would render questions of operating costs moot.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would certainly consider buying an electric only version should one become available. While admittedly a small market now, there is a growing cohort of those who have home solar set-ups and for these folks, being able to charge up the EVilio (ok - that's wrong...but oh so right too) would render questions of operating costs moot.

How much more would you be willing to pay?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, mostly moot... the panels have a cost. $25,000 cost to me (after Federal rebates) to generate 75% of my power. I'd still buy an Evelio though if it wasn't too much more expensive. Actually, a hybrid would do better than an all electric version for me so I could take long trips in it without having to stop every couple hundred miles.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Certainly it's a good idea for EM to have some up-market product out there with a better profit margin in it.
An electric would certainly be a compatible product to offer. Tesla does prove there is room in the market for a EmEv!
The consumer decision to buy one is NOT totally a 'cost efficiency' proposition.
EM options and aftermarket accessories seem to be structured like that. I certainly don't mind EM financing continued production of my basic Elio that way!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We are probably going home solar anyway. Certainly the economics of this would be geared more towards those already committed to home solar regardless. My wife has been all over me about home solar.
For us, the payback time would have been 7 years. Unfortunately, we will probably only be here another 2 years. At the end of our 3 year stint (back when we first moved in and looked into Solar), we'll still owe about $15,000 on the system and with the housing market here in Albuquerque, we are already anticipating losing money on the move and don't want to lose THAT much more. That's one of the downfalls of being in the active duty military but I knew that when I signed on.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm ready to get an EV. When I get 672 miles per fill up, even if it's 20 degrees or 100 degrees outside. And the battery pack lasts as long as the car. Oh, and the price is reasonable without the people's taxes subsidizing the price.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How space is required for the additional battery and controller? I'm not familiar with an aircraft battery like he mentioned. How big is it and where would it fit in the Elio?
The answer (and the question) is lost in the details. The size of battery is of course dependent on the intended range, and the expense and technology of the battery. When someone says either "not enough" or "plenty" often they don't say what the expectation of range is and the money they are willing to spend.

Anyway for a nominal range of 60miles, using Li Ion, and a medium sized motor, typical sized controller., surely you have enough space, if you include some space left in the engine area, some under the driver and where the gas tank is, and small amounts somewhere near the rear end.
You would have to calculate your rate of burn (kw/hr) and the range that's worth the money, to see how much battery you need.
Of the top of my head, I would expect just above 10kw at 55mph, and so at least a 10kwh pack if you want to drive 1 hour. Preferably more since full discharge can be bad for some battery technologies.

It's such a big change for the suspension and chassis as it sits now, and such a high cost, it's something only the intrepid EV enthusiast would attempt or even contemplate.

By way of comparison, 1.34102209 hp = 1kw. One known Pinto (2200lbs) conversion (add lead battery weight) used a 20hp DC motor. (indicates the max continuous use was under 20hp) A typical lead acid for starting is 12V x 60AmpHour = 720wattHour. So the Elio would need about 14 of those Lead Acid to go 1 hour.
LiIon are typically about 25-50% the size and weight of LeadAcid, and a better shape for odd spaces.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45Ah-Lithiu...eaf-/261705212143?hash=item3ceed8a0ef&vxp=mtr
2kW/h - 45V - 12 cells - 45Ah - $485
4kW/h - 89V - 24 cells - 45Ah - $960
5kW/h - 111V - 30 cells - 45Ah - $1190
7kW/h - 155V - 42 cells - 45Ah - $1650

Last edited:
Top Bottom