• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

48 Volt Hybrids Coming In Just Over A Year!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I realize that this is an old thread but thought that oit would be interesting to revive it.

For the Elio to travel 15,000 miles and spend only $536 it would mean then that the Elio was averaging about 70mpg with gas price of about $2.50/gal.

Some EVs are able to drive 50 miles on a full charge but this would depend of course on the size of the Battery and the weight of the Vehicle.

I have been researching the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which is not yet available in North America but in England and Austrilia and New Zealon where they are Available they have been reporting 35 Miles on 12kWh fully Charged battery traveling at 60 Mph, so let us try to do the math on this.

Our Electricity costs $0.78 per kWH so to charge a 12kWh Battery it would cost around $0.93. So if it costs $0.93 to travel 35 Miles, to travel 15,000 miles it would cost 15,000/35* $0.93 = $398.00. A savings of $137.43 if all the driving were on EV Mode but that would be unrealistic so some Gasoline would be used. I have no calculations for that but the calculations done by Outlander PHEV drives indicated that using Electric and Gas at 50/50 rate they were getting close to 70MPG. Since in Hybrid Mode would regenerate power to Batteries when cruising or slowing down.

All in all I found the information and the Efficiency of this PHEV to be very impressive. Especially when we consider the Fact that this Vehicle is a full sized SUVand has a 2L ICE/Motor in the Front and an Electric Motor in the Back and a total Gross weight of 4,800 lbs.

Can you imagine what kind of Efficiency the Elio would have at 1/4th the weight?

I bet the Battery could be 1/4th the Size and weight and the ICE 1/2 the size.

Comments?
Ouch! Here in Nebraska, it's $.09 per kWh. It'd cost $1.08 to charge the 12kWh battery. I think your math may be off there. $0.78 X 12kWh = $9.36.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, but it's been more than a decade and a half since the first high-voltage hybrids hit the streets. The problems were addressed directly in the designs and solved long ago. If they hadn't, the news media would have inflated the smallest occurrence into an International Incident of Epic Proportions. Like they do now every time somebody wrecks their Tesla.

All hybrids and BEV's incorporate a simple device that all first responders are well-trained to use:

View attachment 10836

In the case of the Honda Insight, this splits the battery pack in two, with each half having non-hazardous voltage. I think all emergency disconnects are designed to split packs into sections below hazardous voltage levels.
Must be nice to have a simple switch somewhere. Now, in my daughter's Toyota Prius, there is a plug you have to pull out to kill the high voltage danger. Of course, it's in the trunk... in the front of the trunk... under the carpet... above the fuel tank. Sure, it'd be easy to pull if the car is right-side up and not on fire. But, it could get tricky very fast. I wouldn't call it as simple as flipping a switch though. Not by far.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ouch! Here in Nebraska, it's $.09 per kWh. It'd cost $1.08 to charge the 12kWh battery. I think your math may be off there. $0.78 X 12kWh = $9.36.
Just rechecked my Math.

We are charged $ 0.078 per kWh the cost to charge 12kWh is 12 x 0.078 = $0.94

That darn Decimal...LOL

$0.078 is 7.8 cents per kWh not 78 cents.

This is why I am now looking for a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which is not yet available in North America till 2017. Once I buy that then I will have the Elio as an AND vehicle.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just rechecked my Math.

We are charged $ 0.078 per kWh the cost to charge 12kWh is 12 x 0.078 = $0.94

That darn Decimal...LOL

$0.078 is 7.8 cents per kWh not 78 cents.

This is why I am now looking for a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which is not yet available in North America till 2017. Once I buy that then I will have the Elio as an AND vehicle.
I've been bitten by the shifty decimal more than once myself!

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it as simple as flipping a switch though. Not by far.
Granted, more complicated than flipping a switch. But I reiterate: This is not a problem. If it was a problem, i.e. first responders or owners/passengers were being killed by the high-voltage systems, the news media would be inundating us with horror stories. They are not.

Takata air bags may have killed 13 people globally (likely more people have died from reading a tweet about it while driving!) and you can't escape the news stories.

http://evsafetytraining.org/Resources/Auto-Manufacturer-Resources/Toyota.aspx

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I realize that this is an old thread but thought that oit would be interesting to revive it.

For the Elio to travel 15,000 miles and spend only $536 it would mean then that the Elio was averaging about 70mpg with gas price of about $2.50/gal.

Some EVs are able to drive 50 miles on a full charge but this would depend of course on the size of the Battery and the weight of the Vehicle.

I have been researching the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which is not yet available in North America but in England and Austrilia and New Zealon where they are Available they have been reporting 35 Miles on 12kWh fully Charged battery traveling at 60 Mph, so let us try to do the math on this.

Our Electricity costs $0.78 per kWH so to charge a 12kWh Battery it would cost around $0.93. So if it costs $0.93 to travel 35 Miles, to travel 15,000 miles it would cost 15,000/35* $0.93 = $398.00. A savings of $137.43 if all the driving were on EV Mode but that would be unrealistic so some Gasoline would be used. I have no calculations for that but the calculations done by Outlander PHEV drives indicated that using Electric and Gas at 50/50 rate they were getting close to 70MPG. Since in Hybrid Mode would regenerate power to Batteries when cruising or slowing down.

All in all I found the information and the Efficiency of this PHEV to be very impressive. Especially when we consider the Fact that this Vehicle is a full sized SUVand has a 2L ICE/Motor in the Front and an Electric Motor in the Back and a total Gross weight of 4,800 lbs.

Can you imagine what kind of Efficiency the Elio would have at 1/4th the weight?

I bet the Battery could be 1/4th the Size and weight and the ICE 1/2 the size.

Comments?
$9.36... I believe you lost a decimal place in your calculation. So, 10X you estimate.

Top Bottom