• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6/24/14 - Forbes - The Tiny Three Wheel Car That Could Be The Next Big Thing

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see they we whining about the steering just like that gal that did another test. I guess we've become so used to driving cars with power steering, we think our arms will fall off without it...My 29 Mercedes kit car had a V8, auto trans, front disc with rear drum brakes and NO power steering. After the initial shock of requiring some additional steering effort when sitting still, it worked just fine out on the road and in a parking lot. Find a fellow or lady with an antique car from the teen's to the late 40's and ask them if they can steer the car...the answer is YES.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting item was the mention of nine regional 'marshaling centers'. This is not the first time regional distribution centers have been mentioned yet this part of the plan is something EM has yet to lay out in detail for us which results in a lot of questions on this forum for which we don't yet have good answers.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Such big press from Forbes? Then again, my WWE stock plummeted after the company was featured on the cover.
Sorry Dancer I think your wrestling Entertainment stock didn't do any better than my entry here either.
image001.jpg

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The article does remind that few of us have test driven this car, and it might not be quite what we imagine.

In the end some people will like the vehicle and others will not however the issue I have always had with these media test drives is that the current prototype is not representative at all of actual production vehicles driving experience. We do have to keep in mind that pretty much all the mechanical systems in the prototypes will change before production. EM has also admitted that the prototypes do not have any sound deadening insulation and the interior fit and finish is far from complete. Up until now the prototypes have been more about getting the basic body and chassis design locked down in order to achieve the aerodynamic goals than about the mechanical systems.

The article correctly stated that they drove a very rough prototype but this line is easy for a lot of people to overlook when they read the article. I have wished Elio Motors could get away without letting journalists drive the prototypes however I know that is not realistic as it would just lead to a lot more questions and suspicion.

Last edited:

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the end some people will like the vehicle and others will not however the issue I have always had with these media test drives is that the current prototype is not representative at all of actual production vehicles driving experience. We do have to keep in mind that pretty much all the mechanical systems in the prototypes will change before production. EM has also admitted that the prototypes do not have any sound deadening insulation and the interior fit and finish is far from complete. Up until now the prototypes have been more about getting the basic body and chassis design locked down in order to achieve the aerodynamic goals than about the mechanical systems.

The article correctly stated that they drove a very rough prototype but this line is easy for a lot of people to overlook when they read the article. I have wished Elio Motors could get away without letting journalists drive the prototypes however I know that is not realistic as it would just lead to a lot more questions and suspicion.

That brings up another point, about the Free stuff, with the listed dimensions. As far as I know those are the dimensions for the P4 not the P5, so the interior stats will change. I don't understand why they event post them until they have some final measurements. So, much of the information they've put out is totally irrelevant to the final design. I, for one, would prefer stats that are accurate to what we will be getting.

Top Bottom