• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6/24/14 - Forbes - The Tiny Three Wheel Car That Could Be The Next Big Thing

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A really good article. Thanks CS.
It really was, and very honest about the current state of things. I even learned something new from it..
Vassallo says the company can side-step state laws that govern new-car sales and sell the vehicles themselves without facing the same legal pitfalls as Tesla has encountered for its efforts at bypassing the traditional franchised dealer arrangement.
So the dealer thing is a lot better than I thought before. However, to keep that same sales network, if EM makes a model 2, it will have to be a 3wheeler too. Which I don't mind at all. I think either a staggered seating with two doors, or an upscale sports model both would give more profit as well as enable cross sales, i.e, people come to see the new one, but buy the other. Generally, the more people you get in the door, the more sales you make. That's what the Acura NSX does, people come to see it, or generate interest in Acura by seeing it, then maybe buy another Nissan model.

Last edited:

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A car as light as the Elio should not be difficult to steer. I assume the reason for the current model
high effort is because they are using a steering box with a low ratio, and don't have their own
box in production as of yet. Same as the current prototype engine, which is a carbureted Geo, as I recall.
The article also mentions "claustrophobic back seat" but I don't believe the guy actually sat in the back seat
and we know that the next prototype will have a higher roofline and extra overhead space in the rear.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A car as light as the Elio should not be difficult to steer. I assume the reason for the current model
high effort is because they are using a steering box with a low ratio, and don't have their own
box in production as of yet. Same as the current prototype engine, which is a carbureted Geo, as I recall.
The article also mentions "claustrophobic back seat" but I don't believe the guy actually sat in the back seat
and we know that the next prototype will have a higher roofline and extra overhead space in the rear.

Agree; It was a nice article, but like most of you have "walked around," some of these media stories seem to be just a tad off base and it may be a little questionable as to how much "good" vs "bad" publicity they actually provide for the Elio project.

Did you note that in talking about the weight, size, etc of the Elio, the writer quotes it as being "about the length of the Honda Civic," when in reality, in EVERYTHING that EM says about the car, it is ACTUALLY a little longer than the Honda Accord. There is a difference there!

Wish the media would do a better job of portraying the Elio to the market place! o_O

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know I've seen it some where. That the real deal should be ready as the next test car. I think.
Does this ring a bell with anyone? If it does, when? - might be worth looking forward to.
MK

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I've seen it some where. That the real deal should be ready as the next test car. I think.
Does this ring a bell with anyone? If it does, when? - might be worth looking forward to.
MK

You are correct the next prototype, P5, is supposed to be the first full pre-production model with a real Elio drivetrain and close to final fit and finish. The latest timeframe estimate I have heard for the P5 is that it is due in October. Depending on how well the P5 performs Elio Motors will either build a P6 or enter final pre-production testing by building about 25 pre-production test vehicles to fully test and tune everything prior to production.

Last edited:

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
You are correct the next prototype, P5, is supposed to be the first full pre-production model with a real Elio drivetrain and close to final fit and finish. The latest timeframe estimate I have heard for the P5 is that it is due in October. Depending on how well the P5 performs Elio Motors will either build a P6 or enter final pre-production testing by building about 25 pre-production test vehicles to fully test and tune everything prior to production.
I've read so many articles I don't recall the source but remember reading that they would not produce a P5 but would go straight to preproduction. The vehicle would have the taller roof line to increase rear head room.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've read so many articles I don't recall the source but remember reading that they would not produce a P5 but would go straight to preproduction. The vehicle would have the taller roof line to increase rear head room.
I read or heard that also. I am wondering if it is in last weeks blog. I know it has been within the last week or so. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

According to the latest news direct from Elio Motors VP of Sales Jerome Vassallo, and reported by several trusted members who had a chance to speak to him directly, a P5 must be built in order to verify the design changes and to be used as a basis for tooling measurements for the pre-production models. What he also said, which likely lead to the no P5 rumor, is that it may not go on public display. Unlike previous models as soon as it is built it will not go on tour but instead go through testing and then be used as the basis for the pre-production builds which will be used for further testing including crash testing. All these steps will happen as quickly as possible so it could be a little while before we see the P5 on tour or they could skip it and just show a pre-production model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom