• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

$7300 Final Price

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current NON-REFUNDABLE RESERVATION AGREEMENT reflects the ATVM requirements of both a fixed price to which people must agree, and the “binding commitment” wording. Paragraph 2 currently says:

“2. Nature of Agreement; Non-Refundable Reservation Payment
The Reservation Payment is NON-REFUNDABLE and provides you with the benefits in Section 4 below depending on the level of your payment. This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in a production slot or an estimated delivery date. If this non-refundable reservation is among the first 65,000 reservations (both refundable and non-refundable), a base price of $7,300 is locked in. Unless you specifically opt to make this a binding commitment, you are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment plus a bonus equal to 25% of the payment will be credited against the purchase price.
The option to make this a binding commitment is offered if your non-refundable reservation is among the first 65,000 non-refundable reservations. If a binding commitment is made, the base price shall be further reduced to $7,000.”

This paragraph is contradictory (and thus would probably not hold up in court). It talks about a binding agreement and then it talks about a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between us and EM. The contradiction comes from having to add the "binding agreement" wording in order to satisfy the ATVM people. Remove it and it makes sense. (I do not have a copy of the old version (to which we agreed) to compare.)

The ATVM rules were changed in June and EM may be the first organization having to abide by them. This is probably a first for ATVM people also. EM is forced to add wording only to appease ATVM. Future applicants for this loan will have "binding agreement" wording and a fixed price in their documents from the beginning. EM is having to change their documents mid-stream. (Nothing like changing the rules in the middle of the game!)

I believe EM intentions regarding the agreement is the same as it has always been, they simply are trying to appease ATVM. We can blame ATVM for the confusion, not EM.

Note: Has anyone noticed EM seems to be the first in just about everything?

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current NON-REFUNDABLE RESERVATION AGREEMENT reflects the ATVM requirements of both a fixed price to which people must agree, and the “binding commitment” wording. Paragraph 2 currently says:

The Reservation Payment is NON-REFUNDABLE and provides you with the benefits in Section 4 below depending on the level of your payment. This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in a production slot or an estimated delivery date. If this non-refundable reservation is among the first 65,000 reservations (both refundable and non-refundable), a base price of $7,300 is locked in. Unless you specifically opt to make this a binding commitment, you are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment plus a bonus equal to 25% of the payment will be credited against the purchase price.
The option to make this a binding commitment is offered if your non-refundable reservation is among the first 65,000 non-refundable reservations. If a binding commitment is made, the base price shall be further reduced to $7,000.”

This paragraph is contradictory (and thus would probably not hold up in court). It talks about a binding agreement and then it talks about a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between us and EM. The contradiction comes from having to add the "binding agreement" wording in order to satisfy the ATVM people. Remove it and it makes sense. (I do not have a copy of the old version (to which we agreed) to compare.)

The ATVM rules were changed in June and EM may be the first organization having to abide by them. This is probably a first for ATVM people also. EM is forced to add wording only to appease ATVM. Future applicants for this loan will have "binding agreement" wording and a fixed price in their documents from the beginning. EM is having to change their documents mid-stream. (Nothing like changing the rules in the middle of the game!)

I believe EM intentions regarding the agreement is the same as it has always been, they simply are trying to appease ATVM. We can blame ATVM for the confusion, not EM.

I find this language interesting:

Unless you specifically opt to make this a binding commitment, you are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle.
[Emphasis mine.]

If I'm reading this correctly, if I made a binding commitment (which I did), under the quoted language, EM is now obligated to supply me with a vehicle (presumably in substantial conformance with the vehicle description elsewhere in the document). Seems like this exchange of promises is what forms the legally enforceable contract/agreement indicative of market acceptance that DOE was looking for in their guidelines, a truly high bar for a start up with no prior sales of an innovative vehicle.

So it seems the promise cuts both ways: If I promise to commit myself to purchasing the vehicle, EM has effectively promised to supply me with an Elio, mass produced or not. No backing out now.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

[Emphasis mine.]

If I'm reading this correctly, if I made a binding commitment (which I did), under the quoted language, EM is now obligated to supply me with a vehicle (presumably in substantial conformance with the vehicle description elsewhere in the document). Seems like this exchange of promises is what forms the legally enforceable contract/agreement indicative of market acceptance that DOE was looking for in their guidelines, a truly high bar for a start up with no prior sales of an innovative vehicle.

So it seems the promise cuts both ways: If I promise to commit myself to purchasing the vehicle, EM has effectively promised to supply me with an Elio, mass produced or not. No backing out now.
Yes, you have a good point. Then in the next sentence they say "If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio)." This makes it sound like the deal is optional.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Unless you specifically opt to make this a binding commitment, you are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle.
[Emphasis mine.]

Yes, you have a good point. Then in the next sentence they say "If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio)." This makes it sound like the deal is optional.
That's one way to read it. Another way would be to say the commitment agreement establishes a contract and the purchase agreement provides additional terms and conditions on that contract (e.g., date of delivery, financing, trade-in value, warranty, etc.).

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
" between you and another authorized dealer (Elio)" hummmmmmmmm? New to me authorized dealer... of course my LTM is fading, (Long term memory), I don't ever recall EM dealers being mentioned?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
" between you and another authorized dealer (Elio)" hummmmmmmmm? New to me authorized dealer... of course my LTM is fading, (Long term memory), I don't ever recall EM dealers being mentioned?

I believe that "wording" allows for their (eventual) plan to have factory owned stores across the US. They are just trying to cover all of the bases.

Top Bottom