• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

$7300 Final Price

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If he's correct and Elio sticks to their 20% markup plan, the cost should be more like $720. ($600 x 120%).

Option prices are not set in stone yet you know. I've been waivering on the AMT so that might put me past the tipping point.
I sure would like to hope so, but I'm betting against it.
I'd like to have the AMT too, but not @ 1K more when it doesn't cost EM much more than the MT does.
I think, like others obviously do, that EM feels they need a bit more (from the options) to keep the future machine well greased.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could the difference possibly be due to the ECM/PCM change and solenoids needed to operate the auto tranny. The auto tranny might be $500 to $600, but the little extras to make it work add up.

I agree. Another "issue" that came to mind...EM may foresee a higher ratio of warranty visits to Pepboys for "funny shifting". Just because people aren't used to the characteristics of the AMT. :)

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. Another "issue" that came to mind...EM may foresee a higher ratio of warranty visits to Pepboys for "funny shifting". Just because people aren't used to the characteristics of the AMT. :)
If it's anything like the shifting in my smart, it'll be old hat for me. And if it does shift like my smart, a test drive of a smart might give you folks a better idea of how it'll shift. I caution, though, that single-clutch AMT shifting feels more like someone manually shifting than a classic automatic transmission, so don't get freaked out by it.

At the end of the day, whether the Elio's shifting feels like the smart or feels completely different is pure speculation. Can't wait to try this three wheeler out!

Addendum: Note that there's a difference in shifting between model years in the smart. For MY 2008-2015, the smart uses the single clutch AMT I discussed above. The brand new MY 2016 and later smarts use a double clutch AMT, which I'm told shifts more smoothly but I've not had a chance to confirm. Regardless, I think the older smarts shift just fine, and it's simply a matter of not expecting the feel of a classic, fully automatic (i.e. with torque converter) transmission. Adjust your expectations accordingly and you'll be just fine.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes.. You are correct. This area was cut off from the modern world till the mid 30s when TVA came in. We have Buck Dancing (a mountain folk version of River Dance brought here by the Scoth/Irish settlers), and still use the word "poke" for a sack or bag. Poke, in literature was used by Shakespeare in the play "As You Like It" for the jester's bag. So old English words, songs, and dance still flourish around here. Okay, I'm finished hijacking the thread.:D
well, I guess that's the "Whole kit and Caboodle", or Kaboodle??

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is showing some 'love' with the guaranteed price and price reduction for a commitment. I may have to commit. I wonder if the fed govt would go after all those that committed and reneged?
It's just a legal language thing proving that Elio did ask and was given commitment. It shows that Elio was clear to their reservationists what the contract is.
The contract is the same as before, if 'all in' and you don't buy it, yes you lose your deposit. That's all. OK OK you might get a nasty letter reminding you that you committed, but more likely just a note to say time is up.

For us duh! I paid money and I don't want to lose it, that was THE commitment. It implied but doesn't state a commitment. So Elio is getting that language captured for prosperity.

Seriously, if you don't buy, and Elio has plenty of buyers, the only thing Elio is worried about is giving you a proper chance to save your deposit.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it is not letting me lock in it keeps coming back with a pop up saying i do not have a non refundable reservation. only problem with that is I have had a 1000 all-in reservation since July 2014 and have been giving my spot in line # of 5701. has anyone else had this problem?
It's tagged by Email account, did you have another email account back then?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lordy, finally got caught up to all the notes here since last week.
I must say, not nobody addressed, and probably can't address this question; How many 'Commitments' does Eli really need to satisfy the AVTM?

I suspect it's a lot less than all 56k current reservations. What is significant interest? 20k, 30k commitments?
I'll guess that 50% of those currently with skin in the game is more than enough. I also noted the bump-up in new ones, possibly from motivating fence sitters.

And of course, we'll not likely know anything until after the ATVM is approved.

Top Bottom