• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

8/20/2014 - Fox Business Interview With Paul Elio

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This is, without a doubt, the most well produced and delivered segment piece I've ever seen on Elio. Paul was sincere, charismatic, and his responses were perfectly on-target. I'm pretty sure Fox emailed him the questions in advance, but that's okay. In terms of getting out clear facts about the Elio, this was excellent.

It's also very interesting to me that someone at Fox is willing to champion the project. Before it was "ha ha ha, look at this clownish car", but this was borderline promotional in tone and delivery on Fox's part.

Lastly, the shift in emphasis toward competing with the Smart car, which means (to me at least) that EM recognizes it can't sell only to one demographic, but should embrace its inner nerd and reach out to Smart car drivers.

Kudos and smart, I say.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
This is, without a doubt, the most well produced and delivered segment piece I've ever seen on Elio. Paul was sincere, charismatic, and his responses were perfectly on-target. I'm pretty sure Fox emailed him the questions in advance, but that's okay. In terms of getting out clear facts about the Elio, this was excellent.

It's also very interesting to me that someone at Fox is willing to champion the project. Before it was "ha ha ha, look at this clownish car", but this was borderline promotional in tone and delivery on Fox's part.

Lastly, the shift in emphasis toward competing with the Smart car, which means (to me at least) that EM recognizes it can't sell only to one demographic, but should embrace its inner nerd and reach out to Smart car drivers.

Kudos and smart, I say.

Good thoughts Snick. It's standard practice for the interviewer to give the questions in advance to the interviewee.

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice video. I like how he said biggest obstacle is the "F" word funding........and better yet I heard him say we're over that hump now :)
My first thought when they decided to end the 50% Bonus was that they finally got the funding. The 50% Bonus was the little extra to get more $1,000 All-In reservations. When they decided to end it to me that said they no longer needed to prove those numbers to potential investors. Changing it to the 25% Bonus was a reaction to the Negative response to the end of the Bonus.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My first thought when they decided to end the 50% Bonus was that they finally got the funding. The 50% Bonus was the little extra to get more $1,000 All-In reservations. When they decided to end it to me that said they no longer needed to prove those numbers to potential investors. Changing it to the 25% Bonus was a reaction to the Negative response to the end of the Bonus.
As conservative as EM is on what they say, admitting that Funding is the 'f' word is a strong statement. Just admitting that difficulty also makes me think they are feeling much more confident about the funding issue. He does sound a bit soft on it, so that says they do have to follow though and close on it. But yes, it's actually very positive. Still we want some milestones crossed on that engine and crash-test prototypes. Getting that done would encourage all the potential reservations now sitting on the margins. It still seems that more reservations is desirable to continue the process.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Interesting, screenshot from the video:

Elio Vs SmartCar Aug 2014.JPG

I just realized, the 28,000+ reservations didn't all happen in one year. But most of the reservations are done before seeing the vehicle, so that makes up for it. hehe

In general, why are Smart Cars not selling well?

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, screenshot from the video:

View attachment 2226

I just realized, the 28,000+ reservations didn't all happen in one year. But most of the reservations are done before seeing the vehicle, so that makes up for it. hehe

In general, why are Smart Cars not selling well?

They get pretty dismal fuel economy for what they are. The diesel version isn't allowed in the US, but in Canada they get >65mpg. Our gas version available here is hardly competitive with a Nissan Versa.

It's percieved as 'not safe', too.

Top Bottom