• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

8/20/2014 - Fox Business Interview With Paul Elio

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's odd but a couple guys from my shop do that same thing.
Me: Are you guys working on the project?
Scott: So, I'm working on the project right now.
Me: Did you get the new figures in there?
Scott: So, the figures ran late so I'm using figures from last year.

That "So" thing is a sign of the times. It seems to be one of the new trends. You hear it alot lately. Some CEO will use it in a meeting, and all his underlings turn it into a trend. Kind of like that up speak thing young folks do where all statements inflect up, to almost a question or imply, do you understand. Young ladies mostly, Then respond with "Shut Up"

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, there always needs to be a easy sell, quick grab statement. That's one of them. In promoting your product, you have about 3 seconds to make your point, and that one fits. After that the mind can open to other thoughts. The key is opening the mind of the listener. EM has created statements to fit each of the groups above(most of them). Anyway the list above is a good start on the market segments. Still in the first years there are several more important groups.
5. Motorcycle want-a-be, where a 2 wheel motorcycle isn't acceptable for various reasons. That is so common it may be a bigger group than actual current MC owners, esp if we include three wheel enthusiasts.
6. Uniqueness, character appeal. This was more of a motivator than a group. Still it was important to about 30% of the people I engaged with while researching smartcar buyers a few years ago. Kind of like how we choose pets, we just like what we like. Just fits our sense of play. This falls off strongly when the car is easy to spot every 5 minutes of road-time.
7. Lets think of car-club owners(us?). These people want to do some vacationing and social events that leverage the unique features of the car. In the case of Elio, wonderful driving character and low cost vacation travel, iconic self-image on the road. As this group grows, it becomes a movement. I'm not at all sure what would trim or cap the size or longevity of this population. But I suspect it would grow more rapidly as more participate while the car can be obtained by joiners.

If you want to promote the Elio among your peers, coin one of those 3 second statements that fit the desires of group you are facing. That one first statement, is what will stick in the mind and then get promoted by word of mouth. I suppose the true talent of a salesman is being able to identify the group you are talking to.

All good points, though a market segment isn't the same as an interest group. But it can't hurt to dell the world, as I did here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20140821191957-11335209-comp

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I like most, was the hesitation Paul made on the newscaster's last statement at the end of the interview, where he said," it is a cheap car." You know Paul wanted to correct him and say, no, it's an inexpensive car, but he bit his tounge and just said thank you. Watch it again.
I think you are right. But it is inexpensive not cheap. At least that is my totally biased and completely not the least bit humble opinion. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snip:
I thought the "F" word quip was actually funny, but you can't please all the people all the time. Humor in PR is ALWAYS risky for that reason. He should probably have left it out.

I believe I am the oldest "active" woman on this site and I didn't find the "F" word the least bit offensive. I read the previous remarks yesterday before hearing the video today and was expecting him to have actually used the "F" word - one I find very offensive. Instead he said it is F as in funding and I agree that I found it funny. I was very relieved that funding was the f word he was using. :-) Z

Top Bottom