• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

84 Mpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really don't think the Elio will be as fragile as some people think. Quite the contrary. Most all the components will be "heavy duty". Why? Since the majority of the mechanical components are "off the shelf" parts designed built and proven to be reliable on cars that have twice the weight and twice the horsepower as the Elio will have the effect of being overbuilt in the Elio application. The only real wildcard is the engine and possibly the few suspension components purpose built for the Elio.
Good thinking there. I agree. While there are some parts (bearings come to mind) that will have to spin as much as in a larger car, the fact that the Elio is so light will make that burden seem like nothing.

Fit people like to run... more like runners like to be fit.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A $6800 dollar vehicle that gets 84 mpg won't have a lot of Iron in it .Yes it'll have to pass safety tests but it'll be fragile and light .Ounces cost money and fuel.
My point is that each part will have to be screened for cost and weight durability may not be the #1 factor

No ELIO is a motorcycle it will not have to pass any of the auto safety standards. And we all should know what the crash test standards are for a motorcycle.
I know PE has said he wants it to meet standards but there will be no such requirements.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No ELIO is a motorcycle it will not have to pass any of the auto safety standards. And we all should know what the crash test standards are for a motorcycle.
I know PE has said he wants it to meet standards but there will be no such requirements.
So even if there is no "requirement" Paul wants to meet the standards, sounds like he cares about his customers.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So even if there is no "requirement" Paul wants to meet the standards, sounds like he cares about his customers.
I do not doubt PE Honesty or his caring. I have questions about his ability to deliver what he dreams. I am sure the ELIO will be much safer than the motorcycles I currently ride.
There is no State I am aware of yet that has classified the Elio as a car. Nor am I aware of any attempt by PE to have it reclassified as a car.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do not doubt PE Honesty or his caring. I have questions about his ability to deliver what he dreams. I am sure the ELIO will be much safer than the motorcycles I currently ride.
There is no State I am aware of yet that has classified the Elio as a car. Nor am I aware of any attempt by PE to have it reclassified as a car.
The Elio auto cycle doesn't have to be classified as a car (impossible for a three wheeler) for PE to self impose his anticipated 5 star safety mandate.

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio auto cycle doesn't have to be classified as a car (impossible for a three wheeler) for PE to self impose his anticipated 5 star safety mandate.
I agree. I believe PE wants to demonstrate how safe the vehicle is (by submitting it to testing and achieving a 5 star rating) because of the small and unsafe impression some people may have of it.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree. I believe PE wants to demonstrate how safe the vehicle is (by submitting it to testing and achieving a 5 star rating) because of the small and unsafe impression some people may have of it.

I think that the statements above pretty well sum it up .... Paul doesn't have to have his trike crash tested but he wants to do so and I believe will do so .... doing so is a longstanding part of his commitment and I believe he will follow through by using a respected, independent company to do the testing

Top Bottom