• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Million Questions About Elio, But Here's My Big One.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Heck if the engine turns out to be a lemon we could always drop a Geo metro one in and keep going. They used them in small custom built airplanes .
If this thing comes in near 7K who would expect it to last 100K. Like many things you replace a part here and there take care of it. Who knows how long you can keep it going.

Mark Handler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
As others have said this is a very simple car using mainly existing 'of the shelf' components provided by experienced automotive suppliers so chances are pretty good this vehicle should last quite a while. Elio Motors has told us the frame will be dipped for rust prevention, as is standard today, and with a composite body corrosion should not be an issue. The vehicles extremely light weight should actually help extend the life of many components borrowed from other vehicles such as the transmission.

The biggest question many have is how will the engine hold up. IAV is a very experienced engine design firm, the engine design is derived from the old Suzuki three cylinders engines, and the engine itself is not doing anything too radical however as a newly designed engine there are always questions. The good news is that rebuilding and/or replacing the engine, should it become necessary, should not be too expensive either.
If IAV makes engines & drivetrains for Mercedes, BMW & Porche, then they must be producing a quality product. That was a factor for me to go "All in" on an Elio. :)

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If IAV makes engines & drivetrains for Mercedes, BMW & Porche, then they must be producing a quality product. That was a factor for me to go "All in" on an Elio. :)

'IAV makes engines & drivetrains for Mercedes, BMW & Porche'
When I first saw that statement, after I joined this forum, it went a long way in my decision making to go 'All In' at the top also. As IAV developes components for these HI $ cars, they can surely do a good job on our low $ Elios.This point was right up there with the hi mpg, price, lite weight, etc.
So, it was a No brainer for me for what I'm looking for in my next ride.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was also able to find these two videos. The first one shows the PTWA lining being applied to a Ford F-150 Ecoboost V6 and the second one shows Comau's PTWA system which is very likely what will be used by Elio Motors in Shreveport as we already know Comau is EM's equipment and tooling provider.

G1, Those are great vids demonstrating the process... Thanks! Interesting to watch how delicately the robot manipulator handles the engine blocks...

h_r

Top Bottom