• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Million Questions About Elio, But Here's My Big One.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was also able to find these two videos. The first one shows the PTWA lining being applied to a Ford F-150 Ecoboost V6 and the second one shows Comau's PTWA system which is very likely what will be used by Elio Motors in Shreveport as we already know Comau is EM's equipment and tooling provider.
Thanks. I particularly liked the second one and this is another reassurance that Elio is working hard to give us a great vehicle.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
So I've been reading posts on this forum for about 3 or 4 weeks now in an attempt to not ask the same questions twice. Most of my questions have been answered and the rest no one really knows yet (like the look of the final model, how the car will 'feel' between automatic and transmission, other final product things...). My only major concern is the life of the vehicle. Given my experience with other things, the old adage 'you get what you pay for' holds true in most cases. I feel like I know less about the overall build of the vehicle than some people on here, so I'd like to get other opinions on this. Do you think this is something that will fall apart at 80,000 miles or could you expect to see this to the 200,000 limit (given proper vehicle maintenance of course)?
Welcome :)

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I own a Harley and get around 6 years on a set of tires
Do you just own it or do you ride it!;)

How do you get so many years? I am picturing a touring bike and long flat highways...could see tires lasting a bit longer in that scenario.

My fronts do well and last a good bit. Just love the torque of the engine a little too much for the rears! Got to get my thills in while the weather is nice I guess.

I dont think the Elio will eat tires up...evenif it does, cant see them being too expensive if they stick with the smaller sizes.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rust seems to be what kills vehicles around here. With fuel injection you don't see raw fuel washing cylinders on cold start and diluting oil. Motors last a lot longer. Buildings are typically replaced when repairs are 80% cost of building new. You can keep anything "forever" as long as you are willing to maintain it. How much do you drive?

Richad

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Do you just own it or do you ride it!;)

How do you get so many years? I am picturing a touring bike and long flat highways...could see tires lasting a bit longer in that scenario.

My fronts do well and last a good bit. Just love the torque of the engine a little too much for the rears! Got to get my thills in while the weather is nice I guess.

I dont think the Elio will eat tires up...evenif it does, cant see them being too expensive if they stick with the smaller sizes.
I only use the bike currently for an hour or so in the mornings out here in Phoenix since it's so hot. Not sure why it lasts long Thought that was normal. I may sell the bike when te Elio becomes available since I'm not using it as much as I should. I have used it since I have 23,000 miles and I'm the origional owner.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also am in agreement this Elio will go 200,000 miles.Elio motors had mentioned that in a post. Take care of your Elio and its motor. Keep regular and consistant oil change intervals! As others state this is a vehicle designed to get us there and back, with comfort, safety and 84 mpg hwy.Yes with the quality parts they are using, keep the oil changed and get 200.000 miles. Common fact of life, abuse something and it will leave you stranded or divorce you. Karma, take care of it and it will provide.
Terrence :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The biggest question many have is how will the engine hold up. IAV is a very experienced engine design firm, the engine design is derived from the old Suzuki three cylinders engines, and the engine itself is not doing anything too radical however as a newly designed engine there are always questions.

this has been my major concern as well .... back in the '80's we bought a Chevy Sprint that was powered by a 3 cylinder, 1 liter Suzuki engine .... when new it ran well, running on I-40 we could get 50+ mpg .... at about 75,000 miles the Suzuki engine was done, we literally had to add oil every time we filled with gasoline .... granted that was '80's technology but its a concern I am having trouble shaking

Jim

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
this has been my major concern as well .... back in the '80's we bought a Chevy Sprint that was powered by a 3 cylinder, 1 liter Suzuki engine .... when new it ran well, running on I-40 we could get 50+ mpg .... at about 75,000 miles the Suzuki engine was done, we literally had to add oil every time we filled with gasoline .... granted that was '80's technology but its a concern I am having trouble shaking

Jim

I hear what you are say, the perspective is that was 80's. I started auto mechanic in the seventys I'll gererally say I worked the auto field for 10 years or more, Dealership, private garage, specility tune -lube-smog shops franchise. For the auto field I had worked as mechanic, manager, franchisee. Then a career change to food manufacturing plants, then to consumable products manufacturing plant. In those manufacturing plants (26yrs) mechanic, supervisor, manager, mechanic.
34 years since 1980 Jim, This is a new era with the Elio Auto Cycle!
.Back then was the 80's. My opinion is they did not excell on how it (your experience) could have been made. Take the Elio, they have set a goal for the Elio to provide us 84mpg.Lots of research/engineering/planning/studying/testing/ They have sought out top level suppliers to provide excellent quality parts, componets at a value price.They have one supplier that is going to design a motor with transmission specifically for high fuel mileage. That company is IAV and they have been in that business since 1983. They have vast experience as the other suppliers. Paul Elio has said they will all be able to interact/communicate with each other. That will contribute to a great outcome for the Elio. From engineering, to development, manufacturing, assembly. They had and have the knowledge to manufacture this Elio, which gets 84mpg hwy, with proper maintenance get 200,000 miles, comfortable, tandem aerodynamic design, lightweight 1,240lbs, 5star safety rating. Paul Elio had worked in engineering and scene restrictions (he was held to by boundaries. Now he is his own boss and can bring his vision to realism without boundries.He can bring all the people with that knowledge together and have them interact to get us this fine Elio!
Jim, Paul Elio is like the conduction of an orchestra, he is combinding all the knowledgeable people/suppliers and having them produce our fine Elio! There is so much data within the Elio owners here, that can support it. Just sit back and enjoy tech sheets in here.Also look at eliomotors.com site, click on his blue star supplies to lean about them. Fun and great research task for you.
Enjoy your Elio!
Terrence:)

Top Bottom