• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A New Car For Me ... (2015 Hyundai Accent Hatchback)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a favorite Grandson that was a live in .We we're blessed with paying for his college education .He's working hard and staying out of trouble so I guess it's worth it .Anyway he drove a Toyota until the frame broke from rust at about 240,000 miles .Went down and bought a new Ford Fiesta with no options ,manual trans ,AM radio and duel seat belts .$12,420 with every discount I could invent (tax nic).Anyway I explained that if he takes good care he can get 20 years out of it and give to his kids .
Cars are a terrible waste of money
Horrible waste of money? Great mobilizers? Better than walking? I don't know... some of us actually get joy from driving and it's worth the price we pay to get to drive what we drive. Perhaps you drive boring cars that seem hardly worth paying for them but I, for one, drive cars that are fun to drive and bring me joy on a daily basis. It's like paying for a fun way to get to work or play or the golf course or to family who live away or... well, obviously, the list goes on. It's so great to be able to pay a little money and have a mechanical servant waiting to take you wherever in the country you want to go! I love my cars! (and my motorcycle)

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hit 300,400 miles today and just decided it was time. Engine making noise bad when its cold, Clunking when im hitting bumps on the passenger side...I just felt it wasn't worth it for another year and still possibly not having an Elio.

I'm tired, older, and don't have the time it takes to keep something like that running anymore.

Found a 2015 Hyundai Accent Hatchback for just $9700 sticker price with only 9K miles on it. The dealer about had a heart attack and was trying to verify the price was true.

But I got it...Silver 4DR with 6spd automatic. Rides nice and super smooth.

I'll be saving my $100 all-in for down the road.

And hanging onto my stocks for dear life
May be someday you will still have your Elio. Good luck!

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a question for all you engineers out there. I use Mobil extended warranty 15,000 mile synthetic oil in my 2014 pre-runner, along with a extraguard oil filter. I change it every 10,000 miles. Do you feel that I am doing harm to my engine by not changing it at 5,000 miles.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question for all you engineers out there. I use Mobil extended warranty 15,000 mile synthetic oil in my 2014 pre-runner, along with a extraguard oil filter. I change it every 10,000 miles. Do you feel that I am doing harm to my engine by not changing it at 5,000 miles.
" .....Do you feel that I am doing harm to my engine by not changing it at 5,000 miles....... " but you change it at 10K and you're running 15K oil.
Changing it at 5K you would be wasting oil. Actually, it depends on what the majority of your driving is. Highway is actually very easy on a motor; bumper to bumper stop and got driving or multiple short trips are the hardest on the motor.

What is the majority of your driving?

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would say, that most of my driving is open road. Maybe 25% stop and go.
" .....Do you feel that I am doing harm to my engine by not changing it at 5,000 miles....... " but you change it at 10K and you're running 15K oil.
Changing it at 5K you would be wasting oil. Actually, it depends on what the majority of your driving is. Highway is actually very easy on a motor; bumper to bumper stop and got driving or multiple short trips are the hardest on the motor.

What is the majority of your driving?
most of my driving is open road, about 25% is stop and go.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say, that most of my driving is open road. Maybe 25% stop and go.
most of my driving is open road, about 25% is stop and go.
I don't see why you can't get at least 12K to 14K between oil changes.
Have you ever "felt" your oil to see if you have any kind of particles in it? Or drain out a bit, and pour it over a magnet to see if you have any metal in it?
I always use magnetic oil drain plugs in my vehicles and inspect them when I change mine.
That will tell you the most about your engine. If you do have metal, you have problems. You will always get a little bit, but if you have actual shavings then you have big problems.
Also, smell it; if it smells burned, you're past when you should have changed it. It's these little signs that will tell a good mechanic what's going on inside your motor.
I have been running pure synthetic for the last 40 years and swear by it; you don't want to run "Blends", I've see those go bad.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see why you can't get at least 12K to 14K between oil changes.
Have you ever "felt" your oil to see if you have any kind of particles in it? Or drain out a bit, and pour it over a magnet to see if you have any metal in it?
I always use magnetic oil drain plugs in my vehicles and inspect them when I change mine.
That will tell you the most about your engine. If you do have metal, you have problems. You will always get a little bit, but if you have actual shavings then you have big problems.
Also, smell it; if it smells burned, you're past when you should have changed it. It's these little signs that will tell a good mechanic what's going on inside your motor.
I have been running pure synthetic for the last 40 years and swear by it; you don't want to run "Blends", I've see those go bad.
Have never used blends, just wondered about the longevity of the 15k synthetic. I have 10k on the oil now. I will check it and see how it looks before making a decision. Thanks for your input.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have never used blends, just wondered about the longevity of the 15k synthetic. I have 10k on the oil now. I will check it and see how it looks before making a decision. Thanks for your input.
I use Mobil 1and sent in samples at 7500 miles and it was still good...it should last the advertised 10,000 miles...don't know about the extended...again, if you have 10,000 on your oil now, sendin a sample and know for sure :D

Top Bottom