• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Added Features

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I disagree. I get excited about equipment I'm going to put in my new garage (and there's quite a list!), and the foundation isn't even poured yet. ;)
I started on my shop last year, should have it finished by summer! I want to get a lift but need to make sure it will work for my Elio. Any suggestions?
IMG_20141109_171047_594.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I started on my shop last year! I want to get a lift but need to make sure it will work for my Elio. Any suggestions?
View attachment 5281

Ohhh! Nice BIG toy box you're building there. :) As for the lift, I guess it would depend on which type. With a 4-poster drive on (dual ramps), you could probably get away with a mildly reinforce cross plate (at the G-H-G position), or some 2x2 square tubing welded to hold it's forward/aft position (keep them from spreading), that attached to the ramps to pick up the rear wheel. Add a chopped down standard steel car ramp or 3/4" plywood ramp to get the back wheel over the lift's rear cross-bar (wouldn't necessarily have to be permanently mounted to the lift), and a small plywood or steel box to get the rear wheel over to your cross plate. Probably one of those things that'll be easier to design once the Elio is sitting next to it. A buddy of mine had a movable 4-poster. Can't remember what the tonnage was, but it was definitely too light-duty for me to trust putting my F250 on it, but perfect for small/medium size cars.

lift.jpg

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ohhh! Nice BIG toy box you're building there. :) As for the lift, I guess it would depend on which type. With a 4-poster drive on (dual ramps), you could probably get away with a mildly reinforce cross plate (at the G-H-G position), or some 2x2 square tubing welded to hold it's forward/aft position (keep them from spreading), that attached to the ramps to pick up the rear wheel. Add a chopped down standard steel car ramp or 3/4" plywood ramp to get the back wheel over the lift's rear cross-bar (wouldn't necessarily have to be permanently mounted to the lift), and a small plywood or steel box to get the rear wheel over to your cross plate. Probably one of those things that'll be easier to design once the Elio is sitting next to it. A buddy of mine had a movable 4-poster. Can't remember what the tonnage was, but it was definitely too light-duty for me to trust putting my F250 on it, but perfect for small/medium size cars.

View attachment 5290
That's good info. I am going to have to get something that will handle my 2500HD as well. A 4 poster might work if I fab up a runner for the rear tire, but I wouldn't want it to span the entire length of the lift as it would hinder access to the underside of any vehicle on it. Would definitely take some custom fab work. If I get real creative I might make it removable :)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's good info. I am going to have to get something that will handle my 2500HD as well. A 4 poster might work if I fab up a runner for the rear tire, but I wouldn't want it to span the entire length of the lift as it would hinder access to the underside of any vehicle on it. Would definitely take some custom fab work. If I get real creative I might make it removable :)

Oh yeah...definitely removable. I was picturing a support that was perpendicular to the ramps, and just spanned them. Shouldn't be a problem once we have something 'physical' sitting in front of us.

PJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know what you mean Smitty, will it ever come to fruition? Sort of like flying, you get on the plane and you are at the mercy of the pilot and the maintenance of the plane. Any snafu with either one and you'll never get there! But we bought the ticket, got on the plane, buckled up, we're enjoying the peanuts and the view we can see from the aisle seat! Who knew the flight would be sold out? Welcome to Air Elio, please enjoy your flight! Please be aware, there may be turbulence at cruising altitude.
Heh folks in the back this is your pilot seems we have a little maintenance issue up here in the cockpit. Maintenance says they should have us fixed up in no time.
image.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I started on my shop last year, should have it finished by summer! I want to get a lift but need to make sure it will work for my Elio. Any suggestions?
View attachment 5281

Lifts won't be a problem. :)

Two post lifts should work easily with no modifications. The arms on all two posts lifts I have seen can extend much longer than most people realize and can easily accommodate the three foot wide Elio chassis. I have one of these and was curious when I first heard about the Elio but discovered even the shorter arms on my asymmetrical lift will nearly touch when extended so spanning the Elio will not be an issue at all.

Four post lifts will will take a little modification however it should not be too difficult. Most four post lifts I have seen have rails on the inside of the ramp designed to accommodate a 'jack tray' which allows for jacks to be used to jack the vehicle up while it is on the lift. Along with adding a center ramp someone can either modify a jack tray to hold the centered rear wheel or use the rails and create a larger platform to accommodate the Elio rear wheel.

JP-3,6.png

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lifts won't be a problem. :)

Two post lifts should work easily with no modifications. The arms on all two posts lifts I have seen can extend much longer than most people realize and can easily accommodate the three foot wide Elio chassis. I have one of these and was curious when I first heard about the Elio but discovered even the shorter arms on my asymmetrical lift will nearly touch when extended so spanning the Elio will not be an issue at all.

Four post lifts will will take a little modification however it should not be too difficult. Most four post lifts I have seen have rails on the inside of the ramp designed to accommodate a 'jack tray' which allows for jacks to be used to jack the vehicle up while it is on the lift. Along with adding a center ramp someone can either modify a jack tray to hold the centered rear wheel or use the rails and create a larger platform to accommodate the Elio rear wheel.

JP-3,6.png

Exactly! A plate like that to carry the rear wheel. No problemo!

Top Bottom