• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

After Job Losses Local Lawmaker Wants Elio Investigation

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Motor Vehicle means automobile...just Google defintion...not motorcycle/autocycle.

Before you can ride a motorcycle in Louisiana, you'll need to register it with the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV). Below are the steps required to register out-of-state motorcycles AND new bikes bought in LA.
upload_2017-5-8_14-58-51.png

upload_2017-5-8_14-59-31.png

It appears that that licensing might be a little stringent in Louisiana. We might expect to license in another state except that their code prohibits a manufacture selling to an unlicensed (Louisiana) dealer.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who cares what "Google" says. Check the definition of "vehicle", per the LA DMV.

AGAIN: See LA State Leg. RS-32-1 (92)

Even a bicycle is classified as a vehicle.

Last edited:

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Motor Vehicle means automobile...just Google defintion...not motorcycle/autocycle.
I did.
http://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=88035
Item #30
(30) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground but excluding a tractor and electric-powered scooters not required to be registered.
So, In Louisana, a motorcycle is a motor vehicle.

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in my town, a company almost nobody knows about, with conflicting design goals and no publicly verifiable prototypes, mules, final designs, etc., and with no detailed production engineering work, has maneuvered to purchase the old Mitsubishi plant, done earlier this year. As far as I can tell, they've been propped up by money from the founder's stepmom in the Florida legislature, been paid by the founder's dad's company to do some make-work, and are now at least 80% a collection of buzzwords and hype. Their website's text reads like a committee of pointy-haired-bosses and consultant drafted it about nothing in particular. From the state of Illinois and the municipal governments, they've managed to roll up somewhere around $50 million in tax deferments and credits.

First, they proposed a cheap (appx. $25K) mid-engined sports coupe (?) that was nonetheless high-mileage (60 mpg) for 2013 production, then it was an electric performance sedan, then they announced a ridiculous modular bolt-together frame/body assembly concept (which they still are running with publicly), and most recently they've insinuated that their cars will be self-driving.

Founded in 2009, promising nothing produced until 2020. Changed its name twice before. Finances are nebulous at best. Absolutely no disclosed sales or marketing models, no indication of a target market or customer base.

But- Hey!- it's all fine, and the press and politicians have been largely uncritical of it, their schizophrenic engineering proposals notwithstanding, because it's electric, and it's (maybe) autonomous, and that's all cool stuff. Just like the recent spate of [devices that 'make' substances from the air], no one in the media seems to wonder about feasibility of design, be it by physics possibility or by engineering practicality or by business viability; they just run with it and promote it breathlessly if it tickles their collective fancy.

The Elio design, on the other hand, is gas powered, and small, and cheap. Not sexy enough. It's actually at its base a design far more likely to work- physics, engineering, marketability- without additional technology development than most of the EV proposals (and even currently offered models), but it's fundamentally boring to the unwashed masses that glean their understanding of science and technology from the likes of popularized media like Star Trek and personalities like Nye and Tyson and Musk. Boring is good to any competent engineer, if you're pursuing goals of cost and reliability and a solid chance of design success, but the fools who can't help but whip their heads 'round to gawk at anything shiny just see it as yesterday's tech, and continue to laud the likes of flying cars and (supposedly, but probably-not, imminent) missions to Mars.

Thintelligence, hard at work. I shouldn't be surprised by that anymore, but somehow I seem to remain intuitively naive regarding the intellects of others despite my more conscious cynicism.

Top Bottom