• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Air Conditioning / Heating / Air Filtration

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Challenged" sounds like a deficit. "Enhanced" makes it sound like an asset.;)

Euphemisms...

You didn't get "laid off", the company got "right-sized". :rolleyes:

OKKKK!!, but the truth be told:lol
'Challenged' = no hair
'Enhanced' = no hair
I still have a full head of hair, 20/20 vision (with glasses) and 20/20 hindsite, but I am 'Hearing Challenged'. I guess 3 out of 4 ain't bad.lol
Could my loss of one 'sence' have Enhanced the other 3??
It's a slow/rainy Friday AM in West Ga. Just killing time here, having fun. Gonna ride at noon, Rain or shine!!! The Sun will shine Sat/Sun where I'll be.
Ya'll have a good week-end.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We run the AC almost year 'round here in the Texas Tropics - in winter we mix chilled air with the heat to hold down the humidity and resulting condensate on the inside of the windows. Many luxury cars do this automatically to keep minimal moisture available to condense on the windows. After several minutes of operation, it's more effective than the defrosters.
We do too here in Southern New Mexico.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not Hondas in the 80s and into the 90s.

I find this super annoying because it means you burn extra gas when it's cold out to run the stupid compressor when just heating the air is enough to evaporate the condensation.

Installed a kill switch on the compressor clutch relay on my Civic to fix this, but it wouldn't be a problem if they didn't specifically or the energy into making it one.

All the cars I've owned with A/C worked that way, it seems wasteful, and you loose a few hp with it running, but it's intermittent. It does the trick out here in the 50%+ humidity part of the country (all you do is make more condensation on the windshield without removing the moisture from the air). Didn't need it in CO, or CA...nice and dry.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
VW Beetles (the old air cooled ones) had hot air from the engine channeled through the sills and A pillars. Problem was, if water got in there, when you turned on the heating to clear the windscreen it would vapourise the water which would then steam up the windscreen......

Water did get in, especially if the windscreen rubbers were old; condensation from the lower windscreen corners dripped down into the A pillars....

An eco-cycle all of its own. In wet weather You needed wipers on the inside more than on the outside!
Remember the grab handle located over the glove box door? That's actually a towel rack for just that purpose!

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All the cars I've owned with A/C worked that way, it seems wasteful, and you loose a few hp with it running, but it's intermittent. It does the trick out here in the 50%+ humidity part of the country (all you do is make more condensation on the windshield without removing the moisture from the air). Didn't need it in CO, or CA...nice and dry.

I tried to see where samwichse was from, but all I learned was that he was born on New Years Day, 1901...

"Here" running the A/C is very helpful. Sure, the defrost still works in my old non air conditioned wood hauler pickup, but in damp conditions (like when I'm trying to plow the driveway and snow is coming in the air intake for the HVAC system), it's almost a losing battle.

I've got enough hours in the seat of John Deere tractors to know never to switch from A/C straight to heat (common up here spring and fall when the sun goes down). If you go straight to heat, you won't be able to see out of the cab in about 30 seconds. Fogged up city.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
During the Korean War we payed a disgruntled NK pilot to defect and bring us a MIG15. We took it to Okinawa to find its Achilles heel. One was its lack of boosted flight controls (no power steering). Another was the defroster. If you got into a dogfight at 40000 feed all you had to do was dive away from him. If he followed you down by the time you got to 20000 feet his canopy was frosted over and he's blind as a post. A good defroster can be really important. Not only does winter use of the AC system help in defogging it also keeps the AC lubricant spread through the system which decreases corrosion.

Top Bottom