• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

All In From Chicago!

Car Goob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Like virtually everyone else on this forum, I am really impressed, and a bit intrigued, by the Elio. I consider myself a pretty avid "car guy", but for some reason, I had never heard of the Elio until I saw a TV commercial a couple weeks ago. I immediately went to the website and I was blown away by what I saw and learned. Anytime I see some new concept vehicle, I immediately start looking for the fatal flaw, or the "gotcha" fact. Like, "It get's 84 mpg...but costs $84K", "It costs $6800...but it's as safe as a soap box derby car", etc. But that didn't happen with the Elio. The more I looked, the more impressed I was. I tried really hard to find a reason why it would NOT make sense for me to buy one. I really couldn't come up with one. The last thing I needed was to actually see and touch one in person. I got that opportunity over the weekend when the Elio was at the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. My 17 yr old son and I went and took a look. Again, pretty impressive. The interior was plenty big enough for the both of us (6' and 5'10"). Overall, it felt like a "real car"...well, one that was cut in half!

My commute alone is good for about 17K miles a year. I should save a minimum of $1500, and that assumes gas stays cheap. Not to mention reduced maintenance costs of this vehicle versus my others. I really hope everything keeps moving forward. I also really hope that they can come close to the $6800 base price. That is probably the single biggest concern I have. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Elio 2.jpg

Jelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like virtually everyone else on this forum, I am really impressed, and a bit intrigued, by the Elio. I consider myself a pretty avid "car guy", but for some reason, I had never heard of the Elio until I saw a TV commercial a couple weeks ago. I immediately went to the website and I was blown away by what I saw and learned. Anytime I see some new concept vehicle, I immediately start looking for the fatal flaw, or the "gotcha" fact. Like, "It get's 84 mpg...but costs $84K", "It costs $6800...but it's as safe as a soap box derby car", etc. But that didn't happen with the Elio. The more I looked, the more impressed I was. I tried really hard to find a reason why it would NOT make sense for me to buy one. I really couldn't come up with one. The last thing I needed was to actually see and touch one in person. I got that opportunity over the weekend when the Elio was at the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. My 17 yr old son and I went and took a look. Again, pretty impressive. The interior was plenty big enough for the both of us (6' and 5'10"). Overall, it felt like a "real car"...well, one that was cut in half!

My commute alone is good for about 17K miles a year. I should save a minimum of $1500, and that assumes gas stays cheap. Not to mention reduced maintenance costs of this vehicle versus my others. I really hope everything keeps moving forward. I also really hope that they can come close to the $6800 base price. That is probably the single biggest concern I have. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

View attachment 9459
Welcome!!!! It is a wonderful journey we are on. I love everything about it, the look (I saw it in Charlotte), the cool factor is awesome and even my wife loves it! #5591 all in.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

View attachment 9459

Welcome to the forum Goob! Are you thinking about doing a non-refundable reservation to get the 50% bonus? It shrinks to 25% on June 1.

It's great to hear about your enthusiasm for sure! The short story on the base price of $6800 is, most likely will only happen if they can max out on production during the first year, which is approx. 250k vehicles. And for vehicle #1 to sell for $6800 means (to me) that they need to have at least 125k reservations when production starts. We are at roughly 53,500 now.

Else base price will be around $7600.

Fantastic that you were able to go with your son and sit in the vehicle!

Car Goob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Goob! Are you thinking about doing a non-refundable reservation to get the 50% bonus? It shrinks to 25% on June 1.

It's great to hear about your enthusiasm for sure! The short story on the base price of $6800 is, most likely will only happen if they can max out on production during the first year, which is approx. 250k vehicles. And for vehicle #1 to sell for $6800 means (to me) that they need to have at least 125k reservations when production starts. We are at roughly 53,500 now.

Else base price will be around $7600.

Fantastic that you were able to go with your son and sit in the vehicle!
Yes, I did the $100 non refundable, with the $50 bonus. I figure I can take a flyer on $100. I will want the automatic, given all the traffic around here. So that already puts me at $7800. Throw in a trinket or two and destination, and I'm probably already around $9K. If I can get it for $10K or less (not including tax), I'm good. If it creeps much above that, I may have to reconsider. We'll see.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I did the $100 non refundable, with the $50 bonus.
Just a friendly FYI, $100 refundable doesn't get you a Spot In Line #. What you have showing as your reservation number is actually just an order number, an invoice number for your $100 reservation. You'd have to upgrade to $1000 All-In to get a an SIL#.

Car Goob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Just a friendly FYI, $100 refundable doesn't get you a Spot In Line #. What you have showing as your reservation number is actually just an order number, an invoice number for your $100 reservation. You'd have to upgrade to $1000 All-In to get a an SIL#.
Yes, I figured that, since it was "70867". When I spoke with the Elio folks on Sunday, they said all non-refundables are ahead of refundables. So at present, I'm somewhere in the middle. I guess I'd have to say I'm excited, but I'm not "walk away from $1000" excited. I'm perfectly willing wait until 20-30K have been produced if need be.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I figured that, since it was "70867". When I spoke with the Elio folks on Sunday, they said all non-refundables are ahead of refundables. So at present, I'm somewhere in the middle. I guess I'd have to say I'm excited, but I'm not "walk away from $1000" excited. I'm perfectly willing wait until 20-30K have been produced if need be.
After 20-30K they'll probably be at the $100 All In.

Lisa

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm so envious that you got to see/touch/sit in it! I'm $250 all-in; wish I could have gone for the $1000, but unexpected medical bills stopped that idea in its tracks. I don't watch TV commercials, so I only just heard of the Elio a couple weeks ago when a lady mentioned it in one of my art forums. Like you, I'm content with being "one of the 53,000" who has a reservation; I don't need to be near the top. I think it's enough that each of us, by making a reservation, no matter at what level, is showing support for the company.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 9459
Welcome to the forum... Starting out with a great story and a picture as well is pretty good. Rather at $100 Or $1,000, it'll be fun and exciting as they get closer to actual manufacturing our Elios! I can't wait!

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After 20-30K they'll probably be at the $100 All In.
What's the latest SIL number? I suspected most reservations would be at the SIL $1K level with much smaller groups at the $750, $500, $250 levels and most of the rest at the $100 All-In level. Then even smaller groups in the Want-In levels.

Top Bottom