• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 9379
Are you sure it wasn't one of these beasts? a color 5M, (the only HP printer I ever failed the test on) GOD they were awful, and if you couldn't resolve the issue, taking back to the shop was a pain, it weighed like 90 LBS...
90 pounds? A lightweight! Our first color laser was an HP 4500. It cranked out 4 PPM and weighed 112 pounds.

It came with just a parallel printer port, which sometimes took 20 minutes to receive a print job. We upgraded it to a LAN port for about $300. I think the printer itself was around $2,000.

5249917a211588ad2c32e57b7bbc3c96.jpg

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
90 pounds? A lightweight! Our first color laser was an HP 4500. It cranked out 4 PPM and weighed 112 pounds.

It came with just a parallel printer port, which sometimes took 20 minutes to receive a print job. We upgraded it to a LAN port for about $300. I think the printer itself was around $2,000.

5249917a211588ad2c32e57b7bbc3c96.jpg
Oh, I LOVED that thing! It was SUCH an improvement over the 5M!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I LOVED that thing! It was SUCH an improvement over the 5M!
The 5M's were ok, slow as hell (like 30 sec a page in B&W) but they ran forever!

The straight LaserJet 5 driver was my Go To driver for just about any other kind of printer there was; I could even print on a copier using an HP5 driver, you would lose the multi-drawer functions (it would only "see" 2 to 3 drawers) but in a pinch, it always worked.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 5M's were ok, slow as hell (like 30 sec a page in B&W) but they ran forever!

The straight LaserJet 5 driver was my Go To driver for just about any other kind of printer there was; I could even print on a copier using an HP5 driver, you would lose the multi-drawer functions (it would only "see" 2 to 3 drawers) but in a pinch, it always worked.

Some how I always liked our old QMS black and white two sided Post Script printers that we ran off of 3B2s. Once you had the "lp" spooler running right they ran forever. Of course you had to embed the right codes in your documents, but I guess you can't have everything.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Always preferred post script drivers over PCL.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really? PS drivers drove me crazy.
The way the Escrow program was set up, if you used a PS driver itwouldprinteverythingwithnospacesbetweenthewords.
Ok, caveat, PCL 6 sucked. I used PCL 5e until at gunpoint, usually solved most of my bizzaro problems.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, caveat, PCL 6 sucked. I used PCL 5e until at gunpoint, usually solved most of my bizzaro problems.
Agreed; I would never use a PCL6
Always the PCL5 Driver.

*Note: When I worked doing the Medical Transcriptions, all of the template documents were coded in PCL so I had to do a self taught lesson in PCL coding. Place I went to work for hadn't had a Sys Admin in 4 months so they opened the door to my office and I almost turned around running.

Top Bottom