1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Already Been Done

Discussion in 'General Elio Discussion' started by Speedym7, Mar 13, 2019.

1. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

It was like when I was at the BMW dealer picking up a piece of trim for my i3. They have a Mini dealer there too. When I came out, a guy was looking at my i3. He wanted to know if I liked it and then went into a long speech a to why he'd never own one. I just told him that I wouldn't expect him to own one because it doesn't fit his needs. Then I told him why I'd never buy a Mini. Then I just listed the specs of my VW. In the end when he found out it was a salvage vehicle and what I bought it for and that every panel unbolts thus all you have to do is find the used panels the same color (thus no trip to the body shop) he was amazed. I did let him know that I'd never buy one brand new because even with the tax credit, it's too expensive.

For next week, I'll give my reasons why I won't buy a 1963 Split Window Corvette to use for when I go skiing.

Tre' and Maurtis like this.
  2. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

I’m old and obviously miss the point. If everybody drove what they needed we would all be driving VW Beetles........my first affordable, high mpg, and reliable car. “Drive what you Like, Like what you Drive.” Unfortunately their are some limiting budget constraints to that quote..........or sadly unavailable for a test drive to confirm your likes. I like the Mini and the i3, but wouldn’t buy either if I could afford the i8 or the X7 because I like them even more.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

You did miss the point. It's that people like to say that what you want or have never meets their specifications. I'll put it this way. I'd consider a FUV but it doesn't have 600 mile range, can't be used in the winter, no service areas nearby, not enough storage and it's too pricey. Instead, I'll take my Elio. Now you come back with a rebuttal of how the FUV works for you.

4. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

That statement indicates you considered an FUV to determine it didn’t meet your needs. :) I’ll take your Elio too! The FUV works for me because I can place an order for one.

TexasTesla likes this.
  5. raptor213

raptor213 Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    You can register early for the livestream of Tesla's Model Y unveiling to take place at 8PM PST (11PM EST) tonight:

https://livestream.tesla.com/

Rickb likes this.
  6. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

I just use specification package as opposed to needs. It's the same reason why the person that gave the list of reasons for not having a Solo was the same. It didn't meet his needs or specification package.

7. AriLea

AriLea Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    It's because these 'specs' aren't your measure of acceptance.
    Look, I want the suitability of the wheelbase because I've seen and felt what a failure from that is like. For example, I've seen a short wheelbase bronco spin like a top when he braked a little too hard on the freeway. Other dynamics due to CG are at issue too. After you experience it traumatically, you will up your requirements as well.
    And RWD? Well ,no problem if you never encounter ice or snow or gravel. But I do. As an example, I rolled a VW bug on a gravel road because of the interaction between center of gravity and where the power was. The VW had other failures due to the RWD. Liveable ? yes, desireable? not as much. Could I have driven more carefully? Yes. Could anyone have made my mistake? Yes. It was just a bit too easy.

As for cash worthiness? All US city freeways are scary as hell. This matters.
    An another thing, FWD has a heck of a lot more impact for a 2F1R than any common 4 wheeler, that just pure engineering.
    I built a 2F1R-RWD vehicle. Several failures were visible. Take my word for it.

I also built a mid-engine sportscar-sleeper(4wheel). It was awesome. But the CG was 'just-right' for the power and placement. Good in the wet, never tried it in ice or snow.

3wheelin likes this.
  8. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Yeah, I wouldn't dig a single rear wheel providing all the power either.... though most rear wheel trucks will spin one tire easily enough.

9. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

I would suggest that you all forward this engineering study to Polaris..

10. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

You better let the Germans know this. I never realized that something like a VW beetle rolled because of it being RWD. With that now being a fact, then Porsche is in big trouble with their product line.

I'm lucky I never rolled my 914, 911, 928, 944 and Z4 because they were RWD. My Z4 I had snows and drove it all year and racked up over 200K in it.