• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Altc Designs

Do you like this first design?

• Total voters

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you put an ICE drive on each motor they can 'fight' each other unless perfectly matched at all throttle settings, (and you still get pulsing)
but with electrics things are much more 'elastic' such that all the HP is available so long as you have enough battery amps.

So yes, 3x whatever each motor is. In use the front will break traction loose easier, so you would generally put a bigger motor on the back or have some kind of traction sensing. There is just a little automatic sensing since the motor will draw less current when spinning wheels, but also you normally need to limit current and RPM so the motor doesn't over-rev, very very bad to overrev a DC motor. How much it can over-rev depends on the motor and the voltage applied. If you must use the same motor all around, then put two in back (two to one wheel) and two in front (one each wheel).

Keep in mind that usually you are given the continuous rating of a motor, but the peak(rated for anywhere from 5min to 30min) can be up to 5x of the continuous rating. This is all based on heat buildup.

So typically a 20hp DC motor might be good for normal driving in say a compact car, because that's what the car needs on flat land driving, for a few minutes you can get 100hp out of it so you can accelerate or climb a small hill.
When more cooling is added to the motor like forced air etc, the peak and the continuous HP ratings go up. The efficiency is less impacted with liquid cooling vs air cooled.

This set up will be strictly for drag racing.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, with the Elio sitting in the silent period while things happen out of sight, well I get bored. So I'm working on a sport reverse trike design. It's just a rough outline. Cheaper than an Atlantric to fabricate..

At the moment it will be very light, maybe 800lbs. Midengine with a 650 KLR water cooled engine, front wheel drive (of course), no passenger, very little if any storage, a 'Super' type body with open top which requires a helmet and would be a legal motorcycle requiring a helmet in most states.

I'll try and post an image tomorrow.

But I want to ask, what would any of you do with such a thing, if you like this kind of thing, what does it have to do for you? Where would you go, how long of a trip or cruise?

Take a look at Indycycles of you want to get a hint of what I mean. If you consider an Indycycle equivalent to a Kawisaki or Suzuki, then this would be more of what I call technical ridding, technologically upper class, i.e, say like a BMW?.(even though I'm fitting a KLR Suzuki engine in the design at the moment.)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think EM will eventually do another model. What would it be? More roomy? More luxury? More sporty? More payload? The industry most often does that. But they could also chose to go the other way, smaller and more efficient, one passenger. Less is more in my thinking.

This design layout could do that, be more sporty as well, and cost less to make but would attract buyers (a niche to be sure) at the same price or higher than the main flagship model. It could however be an actual motorcycle, or be completed out as a full autocycle, depending on the coachwork and accessories.

It is mid-engine-FWD-650cc, very low, with the driver exactly in the CG. This is just a concept. If I were to build one, I'd do a more complete drawing. As a motorcycle, maybe add a classic roadster body (with full fenders), that could work for this one.

RubberBuggieMidengine.png
ClassicRoadster.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW! Kind of like a reverse Slingshot drivetrain. I think the weight distribution would be better with your design....Amazing work, Ari!!
Thanks!. The trick to this layout, is putting the differential (and reverse hardware) in back near the engine, and pushing the midsection forward, yet keeping the rear wheel back a bit. The battery (not shown) could go way-way up front. An electric AC unit could go up there too. There is room for an extra alternator in there with the engine if needed.
Pretty much the CG can be placed anywhere it's needed, relative to FWD.

With a full body, ( IF there is one ) a fire wall is required between the tank and the engine area.

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very nicely done. If/when you get around to building it, you might want to consider moving the pedal box behind the centerline of the the front wheels. Otherwise, even a minor front-end collision could wind up crushing the pilot's feet and/or lower legs.

Top Bottom