• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Alternative Heating

How do you heat your home?

• Total voters

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wondering if there are any other wood burners here? I have burned wood for 25+ years and heat my home 24/7 with a clean burning wood stove. This is my 2nd wood stove. The 1st one was catalytic and this one is secondary burn. My heat hasn't run for years but the furnace does heat my hot water via tankless coil. I rebuilt the hearth with ceramic tile a couple years ago when I replaced the stove.

Attachments

• 2012 05 25 009_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
    2012 05 25 009_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 2012 05 25 010_edited-1.jpg
    2012 05 25 010_edited-1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 240

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps newer burners are different, but I grew up having to be by the stove whenever it was on because it kept throwing sparks on the carpet that could burn down the home and I had to make sure nothing happened.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps newer burners are different, but I grew up having to be by the stove whenever it was on because it kept throwing sparks on the carpet that could burn down the home and I had to make sure nothing happened.
The stove is sealed and sparks do not come out.. I run it 24/7 and a full load will go 10-12 hours and keep the house 70-75 degrees..

Ray

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in an 800 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment and it is totally electric. It is heated with individual wall units in each room. I generally heat the living room and bathroom during the day, rarely heat my bedroom unless temps get in the teens or single digits (has happened once since I moved here) and heat the sewing room when I am in there working. There is a heater in the dining area/kitchen but I don't use it preferring the residual heat from the living room. If I had my choice I would have radiant heat and supplement the electricity with solar. I routinely dress in multiple layers because if I heat the apartment to a level where my body is warm I can't breathe. I rather like being able to breathe. LOL :-) Z

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in an 800 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment and it is totally electric. It is heated with individual wall units in each room. I generally heat the living room and bathroom during the day, rarely heat my bedroom unless temps get in the teens or single digits (has happened once since I moved here) and heat the sewing room when I am in there working. There is a heater in the dining area/kitchen but I don't use it preferring the residual heat from the living room. If I had my choice I would have radiant heat and supplement the electricity with solar. I routinely dress in multiple layers because if I heat the apartment to a level where my body is warm I can't breathe. I rather like being able to breathe. LOL :) Z
Electric rates are very high here and oil is no bargain..Being rural natural gas will never be available here. I heat 1632 sq ft to 75 degrees 24\7 for around $550.00 per year.. Oil would cost me around 2000-2500 dollars!

Ray

Reaction score
Wondering if there are any other wood burners here? I have burned wood for 25+ years and heat my home 24/7 with a clean burning wood stove. This is my 2nd wood stove. The 1st one was catalytic and this one is secondary burn. My heat hasn't run for years but the furnace does heat my hot water via tankless coil. I rebuilt the hearth with ceramic tile a couple years ago when I replaced the stove.
IMG_20131119_152047_509.jpg IMG_20131119_184144_800.jpg

This is my new wood burner. It has a blower on it and I love it.

Top Bottom