• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Alternative Heating

How do you heat your home?

• Total voters

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We heat with oil, new windows and insulation keep our heat loss reasonable, although I hate paying for the oil.

Natural gas is only 300' away on nearest road that feeds several neighborhoods, but will not be coming up our street anytime soon. I grew up in house with wood stove, I know pellet stoves are less hassle, but long story short, my house would not accommodate it well.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We heat with oil, new windows and insulation keep our heat loss reasonable, although I hate paying for the oil.

Natural gas is only 300' away on nearest road that feeds several neighborhoods, but will not be coming up our street anytime soon. I grew up in house with wood stove, I know pellet stoves are less hassle, but long story short, my house would not accommodate it well.
Nothing reasonable about oil cost anymore! Just bought 150 gallons and spent over $500! Wood stoves work in power outage and you can cook on them, 2 of the reasons I stayed with wood. Lost power for 4 days when we had the blizzard the winter before last.. Now I have a small generator and 10 circuit manual transfer panel. Of course now that I finally bought a generator we will never lose power again!

Ray

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mostly wood here - about 10 cords heats a 2000 sq ft two story house. I do use oil on a programmable thermostat, just to kick the heat on when its time to wake up, then after the stove is boosted, it is timed to shut down. Used about 15 gallons of oil last year, but about 60 gallons this year as it was much colder. Electric baseboard is a backup system, not normally used.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mostly wood here - about 10 cords heats a 2000 sq ft two story house. I do use oil on a programmable thermostat, just to kick the heat on when its time to wake up, then after the stove is boosted, it is timed to shut down. Used about 15 gallons of oil last year, but about 60 gallons this year as it was much colder. Electric baseboard is a backup system, not normally used.
Sounds like you have an inefficient wood stove.. This is the most wood I have ever used and that was around 4 cords in SE Mass ., with a 1600+ sq. ft. home. I use oil for hot water via a tankless coil, around 1 tank a year and hope to reduce that to 3/4 tank if possible.. No natural gas around here and I would need another flue unless I went electric however my generator couldn't handle that load..

Ray

Top Bottom