• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Am I The Only Person Who Likes The Elgin Dash?

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a big stickler for the style of gauges in my car. I won't be able to tell until I actually see it, and drive it. After that, we'll see. But even if I don't really care for it, I doubt I would replace it so long as it worked. If it craps out, then we'll talk about what to put in its place.

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long as you don't have to wind it, put a battery in it, or keep it in motion, I'll be fine with it. However I do require that that it is readable with peripheral vision and has as few moving parts as possible.

Last edited:

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
PE, the engineer would not specify the Elgin Dash if it wasn't functional or as readable as any other gauge cluster.

I WISH PE , THE MARKETING GENIUS WOULD SHOW UP AND AT LEAST
OFFER AN ALTERNATIVE FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WANT SOMETHING ELSE .

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rickb, how many engineers have you met?

Many will have their own ideas about "functional" and "readable" that don't necessarily translate to the general public (or even other engineers). Although, on the other hand, most of the general public is unwilling to put any effort into figuring out how to work with something different, even if it is better in the long run.

I'm not sure which of those factors is more relevant to the Elgin dash yet, so I'll reserve judgement until I have a few thousand miles on my Elio and can make a more informed decision.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rickb, how many engineers have you met?

Many will have their own ideas about "functional" and "readable" that don't necessarily translate to the general public (or even other engineers). Although, on the other hand, most of the general public is unwilling to put any effort into figuring out how to work with something different, even if it is better in the long run.

I'm not sure which of those factors is more relevant to the Elgin dash yet, so I'll reserve judgement until I have a few thousand miles on my Elio and can make a more informed decision.
I've worked with many engineers. I found that most are function oriented when engineering for the masses. Many times they engineer a functional product, but miss on style (form follows function, when both form and function is achievable). Engineers can also miss on designing for accesibility..........convenient access to get at the part to service or replace it.

With that said I heard mention that Paul Elio has engineered a mechanism.............if anyone tries to tamper with or replace the Elgin..................the Elio will self destruct. Happy Halloween everybody!

Top Bottom