• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Am I The Only Person Who Likes The Elgin Dash?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LRR ? What's that?
The ultimate idiot light is .......................... Check Engine
It can mean 100 different things and the only way to figure out what it is you have to have an OBDII code reader, then go and decipher the code.
Just to find out ........... the gas cap is loose, :frusty:
Or... use the $12.00 ELM 327 from Amazon plus your Android phone and it'll tell you what he code means.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They haven't seen it in the P5 contrasting that new brushed metal dash. I sense it will be haralded uniquely cool and highly functional/readable.
Sorry if this has been posted before but there's just too many posts on Elgin to go through. Anyhow, in case people were wondering what the actual Lord Elgin watch that inspired Paul looked like, I found what I suspect started it all. Check it out.

image.jpeg

Called the Jump Hour (or Direct Read) watch, it was an innovative design released in 1957 that was intended to boost the company's flagging sales.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/853278-1340/Lord-Elgin-Direct-Read-Jump-Hour

And for what it's worth, I like the dial design on the Elgin. The way I see it, it's not like removing the dial cover would make the numbers magically larger. To each his own!

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before but there's just too many posts on Elgin to go through. Anyhow, in case people were wondering what the actual Lord Elgin watch that inspired Paul looked like, I found what I suspect started it all. Check it out.

View attachment 7815

Called the Jump Hour (or Direct Read) watch, it was an innovative design released in 1957 that was intended to boost the company's flagging sales.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/853278-1340/Lord-Elgin-Direct-Read-Jump-Hour

And for what it's worth, I like the dial design on the Elgin. To each his own!

Oh but the numbers are too small, and the hour keeps moving in and out of view, and minutes are marked at 5 minute intervals, how on earth could anyone read this????

BTW: Sarcasm, I actually like this as well.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By the way, it's called a "jump hour" movement for a reason. The hour numbers are stationary through the hour and then jump to the next hour as the minute dial completes a rotation.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is amazing how many great works of art were disparaged on their first appearance. All of Mahler's symphonies, numerous great novels, several famous operas, were all hated by most at first. Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker was a flop, until people saw the greatness therein. Even the film It's a Wonderful Life was dismissed at the box-office. With time, the greatness emerges and is appreciated. Perhaps it will be the same with the Elgin dash. Just give it a chance to grow on you.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is amazing how many great works of art were disparage on their first appearance. Mahler's symphonies, numbers great novels, several famous operas, were all hated by most at first. Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker was a flop, until people saw the greatness therein. Even the film It's a Wonderful Life was dismissed at the box-office. With time, the greatness emerges and is appreciated. Perhaps it will be the same with the Elgin dash.

Although "Nutcracker" is a bit of a funny one, because Tchaikovsky HATED it. He went out of his way to purposefully do something that was pop and commercial, trying to show how awful he thought that music was, and then it became one of his greatest hits.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although "Nutcracker" is a bit of a funny one, because Tchaikovsky HATED it. He went out of his way to purposefully do something that was pop and commercial, trying to show how awful he thought that music was, and then it became one of his greatest hits.
And Ravel hated his Bolero.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is amazing how many great works of art were disparage on their first appearance. All of Mahler's symphonies, numerous great novels, several famous operas, were all hated by most at first. Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker was a flop, until people saw the greatness therein. Even the film It's a Wonderful Life was dismissed at the box-office. With time, the greatness emerges and is appreciated. Perhaps it will be the same with the Elgin dash. Just give it a chance to grow on you.
Athlete's foot grows on me but I still don't like it.

Top Bottom