• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

And Now For Something Completely Different But Very Cool And $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
t

Thank you for trying to protect me from myself.
Now go mind your own business.
I also happen to know what a "sucker hole" is from experience.
If God had intended man to fly He would have given him wings.
Incidentally, my mother and father are both dead and I don't need you or the government to try and take over that role.
If you are afraid of gyroplanes, by all means, don't fly in one.
Your posts on this subject remind me of the anti gun crowd who would soil themselves at the sight of a gun.

Nah.

Well if that is where your definition of "safe" floats, then that is fine by me. With the exception of some poorly designed models, I would consider most motorcycles to be "safe" vehicles.

"Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists' risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car."
NHTSA’s National Center for Statistics and Analysis (2007)

35 TIMES. 3500%

i.imgur.com_Ri46DOT.gif

This is the problem with statistics; it is very difficult to puzzle out the root cause of any particular trend without getting a lot of information, which is why statistics from different sources have such widely varying numbers. Thus, we are forced to rely on anecdotes based on individual cases, and the anecdotal evidence suggests that gyro failures are much more prone to operator error (particularly due to operators who have fixed-wing instincts).

But I will admit that my assertion is flawed, in that I have no hard data to back it up. Hence, it is an opinion based on anecdote.

Hooray for internet opinions.

Accident investigation reports are NOT anecdotal.

Please please PLEASE take a statistics course. Seriously. You don't know Statistics, you don't understand aviation. You are the type of person that gets yourself and others killed by bad logic and bad science.

"But I will admit that my assertion is flawed, in that I have no hard data to back it up. Hence, it is an opinion based on anecdote."

Cognitive Dissonance

These are the most dangerous of opinions. They are also the hardest to change.

PLEASE learn to change your mental state with the addition of new data and evidence.

It will make you a better engineer.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nah.

"Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists' risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car."

35 TIMES. 3500%

i.imgur.com_Ri46DOT.gif

Please please PLEASE take a statistics course. Seriously. You don't know Statistics, you don't understand aviation. You are the type of person that gets yourself and others killed by bad logic and bad science.

"But I will admit that my assertion is flawed, in that I have no hard data to back it up. Hence, it is an opinion based on anecdote."

Cognitive Dissonance

PLEASE learn to change your mental state with the addition of new data and evidence.

Now with your deep insights you can explain these terms and what they mean or imply in general aviation and their importance:
SEL rating .........
sucker hole .........
hood time ......

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nah.

35 TIMES. 3500%

i.imgur.com_Ri46DOT.gif

Cognitive Dissonance

Vatican City has an average population of 2 Popes per square mile, and approximately 221 Popes-per-100,000 population. If you live in Vatican City, there is a 0.22% chance that you are a Pope. Yay, statistics!

Again, fatality rates do not directly correlate to the safety of a machine's design. The greatest cause of fatality for motorcycle riders is the drivers of other cars, not something inherently wrong with the design of motorcycles. From the very beginning my assersion about gyroplanes has been on the safety of the design of the machine. That is, my statement was taking as a given that the operator of the machine would be trained enough to avoid an operator-error induced fatality.

And Accident Investigations are the very definition of "anecdotal". They each represent individual data points. Only by correllating all of those data points can you arrive at a trend. And FAA accident investigations by far blame user error on most gyroplane crashes, which is why the fatality rate is skewed towards "more dangerous". But I haven't bothered to dig up this data, hence my admitting that I haven't presented hard data to back up my claim.

You keep talking about statistics, about hard data. But you haven't yet presented anything that compares apples to apples. How do home-build gyroplanes and home-built fixed wing aircraft compare in safety, when looking only at crashes caused by reasons other than operator error?

But it's clear you don't really care about the question. You're just a bully. You just need to be right, and damn the evidence. All you've done is condescend to me the entire time. I tried to back out of this stupid argument on several occasions, but you just keep trolling.

I hope Coss just locks this whole damn thread.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Vatican City has an average population of 2 Popes per square mile, and approximately 221 Popes-per-100,000 population. If you live in Vatican City, there is a 0.22% chance that you are a Pope. Yay, statistics!

Again, fatality rates do not directly correlate to the safety of a machine's design. The greatest cause of fatality for motorcycle riders is the drivers of other cars, not something inherently wrong with the design of motorcycles. From the very beginning my assersion about gyroplanes has been on the safety of the design of the machine. That is, my statement was taking as a given that the operator of the machine would be trained enough to avoid an operator-error induced fatality.

And Accident Investigations are the very definition of "anecdotal". They each represent individual data points. Only by correllating all of those data points can you arrive at a trend. And FAA accident investigations by far blame user error on most gyroplane crashes, which is why the fatality rate is skewed towards "more dangerous". But I haven't bothered to dig up this data, hence my admitting that I haven't presented hard data to back up my claim.

You keep talking about statistics, about hard data. But you haven't yet presented anything that compares apples to apples. How do home-build gyroplanes and home-built fixed wing aircraft compare in safety, when looking only at crashes caused by reasons other than operator error?

But it's clear you don't really care about the question. You're just a bully. You just need to be right, and damn the evidence. All you've done is condescend to me the entire time. I tried to back out of this stupid argument on several occasions, but you just keep trolling.

I hope Coss just locks this whole damn thread.
You got your wish.
We really don't need to be throwing stones and comments at each other like a school yard brawl. We're adults, act like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom