• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Announcements Post Suppliers Summit August 2015

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect WIX filters may be better simply because they give technical data on their website. Data such as what size particles they filter out, flow rate, burst pressure of can, back flow valve, flow rate, by-pass valve, and other. I have not found other brands that do this. Fram certainly does not.

I trust a company more that will print technical data about their products like this.
They're not better because they publish it, they're better because they build em that way.

Darrellh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
They're not better because they publish it, they're better because they build em that way.
I did some research on this a while back and don't remember the details, but comparing all brands including the premium ones, that the smallest particle filtering and best construction was by Purolator. And they are USA made.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was told years ago that CarQuest house brand filters are Wix filters, the difference is packaging and price .... also, CarQuest house brand motor oil is made by Valvoline, again the difference is packaging and cost .... that's what we have used for decades with no concerns whatsoever .... the only vehicle that I've ever owned that came with synthetic motor oil is our 2011 Chevy Silverado .... we have it serviced at the dealership because it came with a lifetime motor warranty and, with coupons that come from the dealership, its cheaper to have them service it than it is at any of the local service outlets ....

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was told years ago that CarQuest house brand filters are Wix filters, the difference is packaging and price .... also, CarQuest house brand motor oil is made by Valvoline, again the difference is packaging and cost .... that's what we have used for decades with no concerns whatsoever .... the only vehicle that I've ever owned that came with synthetic motor oil is our 2011 Chevy Silverado .... we have it serviced at the dealership because it came with a lifetime motor warranty and, with coupons that come from the dealership, its cheaper to have them service it than it is at any of the local service outlets ....
I have my service done by Grease Monkey but I always bring my own Oil and Filter, and I'm like a hawk watching them when they do it. The local shop here has cameras so you can see all angles (from the pit, under the hood, etc.) plus there is a window out to the shop.
I get my oil from Wal-Mart; since I always use Castrol Synthetic I found it to be $10 a gallon cheaper there.
Oh yeah, filters, I use Bosch. If it's a high mileage motor, I always add Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil (great stuff), I add MMO to the gas tank in all my motorized stuff also.

Found this video that does a non-scientific comparison (backyard video from some guy with a camera and time on his hands) between 9 different filters Filter Comparison

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have friends who work at CarQuest and they said the same thing: Their filters are made by WIX. Of course, that does not mean they are made to the same standards, but I suspect they are the same filter, only packaged differently.

I had a Mitsubishi Mighty Max truck and when approaching 2,000 miles, the lifters would start clattering. I changed from Fram to the cheap Walmart filter and had no problem with clattering lifters after that. I believe the large Fram filter used in racing is good but I suspect it is the only good filter they make. They have a lot of business because of their marketing department, not because of filter quality.

I was listening to the radio show called Car Talk hosted by two brothers known as "Click and Clack, the tappet brothers". A lady called in and said she had the oil changed on the east coast before driving to the west coast and had the oil changed again when she arrived on the west coast. She said she knew something was wrong when all the workers were gathering around her car looking at the engine. They came out and informed her she had automatic transmission fluid in her engine instead of motor oil Fast change oil places have dispensing holes handing from overhead and apparently the "technician" had grabbed the transmission dispensing hose instead of the oil dispensing hose. She said, and I accurately paraphrase, 'I won't say who changed the oil, but speed is very important to them. They are very proud they can change your oil in a jiffy."

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have friends who work at CarQuest and they said the same thing: Their filters are made by WIX. Of course, that does not mean they are made to the same standards, but I suspect they are they same filter, only packaged differently.

they told me CarQuest's top filter = the best WIX filter .... that's the one we have been using

I was listening to the radio show called Car Talk hosted by two brothers known as "Click and Clack, the tappet brothers". A lady called in and said she had the oil changed on the east coast before driving to the west coast and had the oil changed again when she arrived on the west coast. She said she knew something was wrong when all the workers were gathering around her car looking at the engine. They came out and informed her she had automatic transmission fluid in her engine instead of motor oil

WOW .... talk about something that would get me down right excited .. :confused:

Darrellh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have my service done by Grease Monkey but I always bring my own Oil and Filter, and I'm like a hawk watching them when they do it. The local shop here has cameras so you can see all angles (from the pit, under the hood, etc.) plus there is a window out to the shop.
I get my oil from Wal-Mart; since I always use Castrol Synthetic I found it to be $10 a gallon cheaper there.
Oh yeah, filters, I use Bosch. If it's a high mileage motor, I always add Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil (great stuff), I add MMO to the gas tank in all my motorized stuff also.

Found this video that does a non-scientific comparison (backyard video from some guy with a camera and time on his hands) between 9 different filters Filter Comparison

Top Bottom