• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Another Wallyworld Fail . . .

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever have one of those days dealing with rude, incompetent clerks? Well WE had one today, and even after a few hours of decompression, I'm still steamed.

We really had a miserable buying experience at Walmart, trying to get a battery for my daughter's truck. We followed her over to the store in the van - just in case it quit enroute and we couldn't get her truck re-started. Well, here's the text of the missive I just sent WallyWorld's corporate offices:
We had a very difficult shopping experience at our local Walmart (local address) while trying to purchase a new battery for my daughter’s old truck. The correct battery listed online at $86 was not available in the store, but the counterperson (Jessica) obviously on loan from another department and quite unhappy about it, found a similar (more expensive) battery that because the truck died in the parking lot we had no choice but to accept. She would not contact another store to see if they had one in stock, and the "mechanic" refused to install it because he claimed the terminals were reversed and it was against store policy to turn the battery 180 degrees. Long, sad, two hour story short, after being ignored for hours, I had to buy a set of wrenches and install it in the parking lot myself.

As it turned out, the terminals were NOT reversed (I have photos), the mechanic simply refused to work on the truck. There were NO other cars in the service bays, it was nearly three hours before closing and during the time I was there, only five other customers were waited on at the counter.

I ended up spending far more for a more expensive product, and then had to buy the tools to install it myself. Your employees were not just dismissive, but rude. I have been in the service industry for the better part of fifty years, and this kind of incompetence and poor behavior on the part of your staff reflects badly on your entire organization. As employers, I think it is only fair that you know how you are being represented at the store level.
An old friend was the regional marketing manager for Sears Roebuck many years ago. and he once told me that Sears lived by that slogan emblazoned on their doors in gold leaf, "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back". They recognized the absolute necessity of taking care of each customer individually, treating them with kindness and respect, and going that "extra mile" when necessary to keep them coming back. Walmart just hasn't gotten the message.

Whaddya know? I think that's smoke rolling out of my ears . . . :mad:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny you should mention shopping at Walmart and the item you wanted was not in stock. I too spent time in Wally World today, of the 8 items on my list, 4 were not in stock. It's not like I went shopping late in the day, nor were my items in the sales ad (a sure bet its out of stock) or anything needed for a Super Bowl party (plenty of velveeta cheese on the shelf this year). It was All Bran cereal, Unsweetened almond milk, French toast and bulk box of Monk Fruit sweetener. So much for making my fiber muffins for breakfast. Guess I'll go back to doing ALL my shopping at King Soopers.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
we have noticed that with WalMart and other national chains that the level of service can vary widely .... for the most part, the folks working the various departments don't seem to be well trained with little technical knowledge .... I have to keep reminding myself that I shop WalMart for price, convenience, and availability

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny you should mention shopping at Walmart and the item you wanted was not in stock. I too spent time in Wally World today, of the 8 items on my list, 4 were not in stock. It's not like I went shopping late in the day, nor were my items in the sales ad (a sure bet its out of stock) or anything needed for a Super Bowl party (plenty of velveeta cheese on the shelf this year). It was All Bran cereal, Unsweetened almond milk, French toast and bulk box of Monk Fruit sweetener. So much for making my fiber muffins for breakfast. Guess I'll go back to doing ALL my shopping at King Soopers.
At the end of the day, I think there is just a retail culture of not caring for your employees. King Soopers really doesn't do much better of a job than Walmart on that front. My wife has been passed up for promotion 4 times now, her store has been through 3 managers in 5 years, and last week they forced her to rescheduled a pre-natal checkup TWICE because they kept changing her schedule. Needless to say, she's looking at other jobs!

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use to go to Sears only when I need a dose of frustration ,thank God they are closing this year.year. Wal Mart although financially strong it's only temporary and a more service oriented retailer will come to the forefront .Yes I had a bad battery experience at WM and walked out ,as if they could give a chit .

wjdom

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever have one of those days dealing with rude, incompetent clerks? Well WE had one today, and even after a few hours of decompression, I'm still steamed.

We really had a miserable buying experience at Walmart, trying to get a battery for my daughter's truck. We followed her over to the store in the van - just in case it quit enroute and we couldn't get her truck re-started. Well, here's the text of the missive I just sent WallyWorld's corporate offices:

An old friend was the regional marketing manager for Sears Roebuck many years ago. and he once told me that Sears lived by that slogan emblazoned on their doors in gold leaf, "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back". They recognized the absolute necessity of taking care of each customer individually, treating them with kindness and respect, and going that "extra mile" when necessary to keep them coming back. Walmart just hasn't gotten the message.

Whaddya know? I think that's smoke rolling out of my ears . . . :mad:
I hear ya! I hate walmart also.... and as a former Sears associate of 34 years, I can say that Satisfaction guaranteed was true for a long time. But alas things have changed their also, its not the company it was, but its still better than walmart. Walmart will have its downfall and I don't think it will last as long as Sears, 129 years and counting.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some years ago, on one of my regular bi-annual visits to that state, I visited a Walmart store in Florida. I had a few items in a basket and went to the checkout. A lady "customer service agent" or whatever phrase you care to use (I'll call her that be polite, unlike herself), immediately said something totally unintelligible to me, in a very angry sounding voice. I looked at her and she said something else, again, not understandable to my British ears. She then grabbed the edge of the basket, shook it, pointed to the counter and said in a loud voice "PUT THE GODDAM ITEMS ON THE BELT!"
I wouldn't go there willingly any more. :mad: :rolleyes:

We have a real problem with mumbling in the US today. There are a lot of immigrants where the way they speak is metered differently and I'm guessing that has crossed over to the general population. It's especially bad at drive ups and groceries with younger people and other-language speakers. I can hardly understand them anymore, and often I have to ask for a repeat.
To be sure if your whole language set is just things said at a fast food, they take it for granted. But I have a much bigger set of words I have to parse it into, so I need a bit better enunciation.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have a real problem with mumbling in the US today. There are a lot of immigrants where the way they speak is metered differently and I'm guessing that has crossed over to the general population. It's especially bad at drive ups and groceries with younger people and other-language speakers. I can hardly understand them anymore, and often I have to ask for a repeat.
To be sure if your whole language set is just things said at a fast food, they take it for granted. But I have a much bigger set of words I have to parse it into, so I need a bit better enunciation.
Just call a company's service number- forget the U.S. how about trying to talk to (insert an American name) from India or
the Philippines !! I now ask for someone who speaks American English!!!

Top Bottom